not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, September 28, 2024

COFFEE AND OLLIE

 POST # 616

A very long time ago, in the last months of 1980, I was living and working at a place in central Alberta, approximately a two plus hour drive from my home town of Calgary.

After the work week had finished, I would hop in my car, and make the drive back to Calgary, to catch up with family and friends for a couple of days, before returning Sunday night in preparation for the work week ahead.

And it was during that time, that I started drinking coffee.  I would have just one cup, prior to the beginning of my drive to Calgary, and because it was the only cup I would drink all week, I would get quite a buzz from the caffeine.  And that's why I drank it, as it helped to keep me awake on my journey southward.

So that was the beginning of coffee drinking for me.  Why do I bring this up now?  Well, as of today, it has been exactly one year since I drank my last cup of coffee, and to my surprise, I haven't missed it one little bit.  It's rather strange that a habit that had lasted for 43 years, could just stop, and not be missed.  I don't even think about it now.  

Changing subjects.  In a couple of days, I will be saying goodbye to Ollie, as I head across the water to Nanaimo to begin my next house sit.  He'll probably be sleeping when I leave, even though it will be the middle of the afternoon.  He's a true furball.  He loves to sleep most of the day.  But if he is asleep, I'll make sure to wake him up, and give him a pat on the head to say my goodbye.  Thanks for your company Ollie.  It has once again been a pleasure to spend some time with you, my furball friend.


grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment