not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Friday, July 14, 2023

WARNING!!! MOUSE FREE ZONE

 POST # 558


If you happen to be a mouse, you'll want to stay well clear of the house that I have recently arrived at, here in the lovely little town of Ladysmith, BC.  The two resident furballs have attached this door knocker to the front door, just as a warning.  This is a mouse free zone.

I've only been here for three days, but so far, I haven't even seen a single mouse, so I guess that the furballs are right on top of things.  I can sleep peacefully each and every night, knowing that they are keeping the house sitter safe from wandering rodents.


If I were to hazard a guess as to which one of these two would be a good "mouser", my money would be on Sam, shown above.  He's got energy to spare.  On the other hand, Tess, below, spends most of her day sleeping.  I'm sure that she deserves it.
They are both very affectionate companions, so I am having a wonderfully relaxed time getting to know them.



I have a great location, and even though I am technically in a small town, this location feels quite rural.  As I may have mentioned before on this blog, I like a more rural setting, and the main reason for that, is that it offers peace and quiet.  Above all else, including the critters that I care for, my number one preference for any particular house/pet sit is that it is quiet, and my current location fits the bill.  

I have a wonderful garden that I can relax in, and I happen to be here when there are plenty of fresh beans and raspberries to pick, something that I do a couple of times a day.  There are even a few early tomatoes, so I am very fortunate indeed.



Each morning, as soon as I wake up, I hear Sam bounding up the stairs, so that he can hop up on my bed, and spend a few moments with the sitter.  Tess, on the other hand, doesn't see the point of wasting the energy to climb the staircase, so she just remains downstairs, in anticipation of my imminent arrival so that they can both enjoy some cat food for breakfast, served of course, by the house sitter.  It didn't take the two of them very long to train me.



After the furballs have had their breakfast, my next chore is to head outside and water the many plants in the yard.  It doesn't take me very long to do, and I rather enjoy the task, so it really doesn't feel like work.

Just this morning, when I was in the backyard, completing my watering duties, I noticed this flower on the cactus in the photo below.  Truth be known, it's the first time that I have noticed it, since my arrival, which makes me wonder if it just sprang up overnight?  Whatever the case may be, it certainly is a pretty flower to look at.


And just in case I forget who is actually running the show around here, this sign is there to remind me each and every day.  Thankfully, as a pet sitter, at least I don't have to pay the mortgage.



A couple of more things to mention before I finish for today, is that as you can see, I now have the ability to once again post photos.  It's a little more complicated than before, prior to my email account getting hacked, but at least it's now possible.  

And the last item for today is to mention my blog post from exactly one year ago, on July 14, 2022.  On that day, I officially outlived my dear old dad by one day.  So as of today, I have another year under my belt.  Where did that year go?  The days fly by way too fast now, but at least I am still here to enjoy each and every one of them.  
Here is a link to that post from one year ago, today.




grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer











No comments:

Post a Comment