not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, July 14, 2022

24,606th DAY ON PLANET EARTH

POST # 510 


Today, July 14th, 2022, I get to experience something that my dad never had the opportunity to enjoy.  Today is my 24,606th day here on planet earth.  One more precious day than he had in his lifetime.  Mind you, the day isn't over just yet, so I shouldn't presume that I'll make it to the end, as any moment may be our last one.  However I have a good feeling about today, so I'll try to enjoy it as much as I possibly can.

To begin my 24,606th day, I completed a simple task that I now tend to do about three times per week.  While still in bed, I check my resting heart rate.  Today it was 55 bpm.  It varies from 55 to 59 on average, and as far as I know, that is a relatively healthy number.  Here is something to be thankful for.  If I use that number, and multiply it by the number of minutes in a day, then multiplied again by the number of days, 24,605 (the number of full days lived up to now), the result is very large indeed: 1,948,716,000.  Let's round it up to two billion.  Day in and day out, without even thinking about it, my heart continues to do its work each and every second of every day that I have been on this journey called life.  If you can't find anything else in your life to be thankful for, then this should be more than enough, don't you think?

In spite of the fact that the last couple of years haven't been as enjoyable as previous years, I still manage to try and find moments of joy along the way.  Yesterday for instance, on day 24,605, I had the pleasure of picking fresh strawberries from the garden,


followed by a walk along the beach with Trixie,



and finally, as the sun was setting, I managed to capture this image of a hummingbird coming in for a landing at the feeder in the front yard.


 I'll never know if my dear old dad ever had the opportunity to watch a hummingbird in flight, but if so, I imagine that he would have been as captivated as his son now is, each any every time that I see one.

Well, day 24,606 is continuing to fly on by, and Trixie is giving me that look.  So it's time to wind this up for today, and head outside for a walk with her.  I want to spend as much time as possible outside on my 24,606th day.

Finally, and somewhat coincidentally, my friend Guy created a video earlier this week. The message of time passing is explored, and that relates very well to today's blog post.  If you care to have a look you can find it here.

grateful for every breath (and day),

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer








No comments:

Post a Comment