not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, January 7, 2023

JOURNEYING SOUTH ONCE AGAIN

 POST # 533


I couldn't think of a better way to kick off the year of 2023, then to hit the road once again, and head south of the border to spend time with my dear friend Mary and Dora-dog.

After leaving Duncan, I was driven to the ferry terminal in Nanaimo, and then I headed across to the mainland.  The ferry arrived just after noon, and after spending a few hours in Vancouver, it was time once again to board the Amtrak train to head south.  Of course, there is never a guarantee that I will successfully clear customs, but nowadays clearing US customs is a breeze.  They hardly ask any questions at all, and soon enough, I was on my way south.



I always find train travel a very relaxed way to go from place to place, and this Amtrak journey south is no exception.  Mary was waiting at the station and she even brought Dora-dog along for the ride this time.  Coming to the station is a mixed bag for Dora-dog.  She's happy to see her Canadian friend, but the noise that the train makes, certainly puts her on edge.  This will always remain a mystery to us as to why that is, however once the train has departed, she gets back to being a happy bonehead once again.

Yesterday, some old friends, Robert and Kim came by for a visit, and they brought along with them, Kim's new bonehead who goes by the name of Blue.  Blue and Dora-dog hit it off right from the get go, so we were all happy to see that take place.


After a few runs around the yard outside, it was time for them to come inside and spend time with the humans, and before too long, they were both comfortably settled on the carpet relaxing, and enjoying their afternoon.



So 2023 begins with this Canuck spending time south of the border in the USA.  As I may have mentioned previously on this blog, travelling anywhere could become more of a problem as time goes by, but for now, I will count my blessings, and be grateful for the fact that I am still able to travel.  I do wonder if this will still be possible by the end of the year, but I guess we'll find that out as time passes.  My passport expires on 23/12/23, so maybe that is a hint at things to come.  We'll see.

For now at least, I am happy to be able to travel south one more time, and if all goes well, I expect to do this again as the year goes by.  As long as I am able, and as long as the system holds together, then perhaps that will come to pass.  And of course, as long as the border agents continue to be as friendly as they have been lately, that will be one less travel hurdle to jump.

Wrapping things up for today, I have to conclude with one final photo of Dora-dog, (of course).  I have returned this time with a new lacrosse ball that replaces the yellow lacrosse ball that I lost last year, which Dora-dog liked to play with.  She likes the new ball just as much as the old one, and it's always wonderful to see her with a smile on her face, after enjoying another play session.




grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer








No comments:

Post a Comment