not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, December 28, 2022

2022 COMES TO A CLOSE FOR THE THOUGHTFUL WANDERER

 POST # 532




Let me see.

The snow has stopped. For the moment.

The rain has stopped.  For the moment

I have running water again.

The power is still on.  For now.

And the driveway is now clear.

And this morning, even the sun decided to make a brief appearance.

It has been an interesting week to say the least, and I'm rather thankful that some of the drama is now in the rear view mirror.  One week ago, I wrote that the owners would be leaving the next day, which would have been December 22nd, however that never happened, and as it turns out, I am very thankful that they were still here.  Why?  The low temperature caused the pipes to freeze, and as a result, we had no water for three days.  Just another one of those luxuries that we totally take for granted, until it isn't available.  If they had left, I wouldn't have had a clue as to how to fix the water problem.  The plumber was scheduled to arrive on Christmas Eve, and in preparation for his arrival, we walked down to the pump house, in order to shovel a pathway for him.  As I approached the pump house, I could hear water running.  Upon opening the door I was staring at a burst water pipe, that was spewing water everywhere, including over various electrical connections.  Needless to say, not a good situation.  

                                                                                   Pump house


The white vertical PVC pipe in the above photo is the replacement for the one that was spewing water all over the pump house.  Thankfully, the plumber did a great job, and we have water once again.  Later in the day, he had to return a second time, due to another pipe bursting in another building on the property.  Since that time, everything seems to be working fine, so I am counting my blessings.

After a couple of false starts, the owners finally had the opportunity to head out on their vacation, albeit five days behind schedule.  It was a grey rainy drive to and from the ferry terminal, and the colour of the sky matched my mood.  Here is a view of the driveway, upon returning to the property.  A couple of days before this photo was taken, it would have been impossible to drive down this approach to their house.


So the bonehead, Caper, the furball, Logan, and the house sitter have now finally settled into a routine of sorts, although I have to admit that Caper certainly has her own very energetic agenda, and that keeps me on my toes.

And then just this morning we woke to a very unusual sight.  This big bright object in the sky that hasn't been seen for such a very long time.  I went out into the yard with Caper, just to enjoy the fact that there was sunshine and blue sky.


However, our sunny break didn't last very long, and as I write these words, the rain is falling once again.  At least I don't have to shovel it.  

So we arrive at the final blog post for the year 2022.  What a year it has been.  And even though it has been a challenging year, I strongly suspect that in 2023 we may be in for more of the same challenges and perhaps even bigger ones.  That's certainly not a very optimistic view for next year, and I would love to be wrong, but my gut tells me otherwise.  The year will unfold as it will, and all we can do is try and appreciate the moments along the way.  Moments are all we have.

grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer



 



No comments:

Post a Comment