not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, November 28, 2020

"NEW" BOOTS AND A FEW THOUGHTS OF MOM AND DAD

 POST # 432

 

 


 

It was time.  The Thoughtful Wanderer needed some "new" walking boots in order to continue my wandering nature.  As luck would have it, they showed up just recently.

A little bit of history first.  My last pair of walking boots, which I still have, but are now destined for the boot graveyard, appeared probably about five or maybe six years ago.  I had wandered into one of my favourite Vancouver thrift stores on fourth avenue, and there they were.  Priced at only $16.00, I couldn't pass them up.  That turned out to be a wise purchase, and they have served me well over the ensuing years.  I was going to make a trip to that same thrift store, but my friend Congo Bob informed me that it no longer exists.  As the Big Lebowski would say, "that's a bummer, dude."  

So recently I was walking down Granville street and came across another thrift store that I had shopped at before.  I popped in to have a look around.  I wasn't there to shop for boots, but somehow I found myself staring at this lovely pair.  They looked as though they had never been worn before.  According to the Mountain Equipment Co-op website (MEC), these sell for about $300.00+ new.  I picked them up for just $30.00.  How could I say no to a bargain like this one?

As with any "new" pair of footwear, it takes a while to break them in, and so for the past couple of weeks, that is exactly what I have been doing.  I don't wear them everyday, but each time that I do, they are becoming more and more comfortable.

Yesterday, I walked past the same thrift store in my "new" boots, en route to Granville Island.  Seeing as it wasn't raining for a change, I decided to walk over the Granville Street bridge, instead of taking the ferry.

Stopping briefly at the apex of the bridge, I took this photo, looking down at what used to be my former work place, where I skippered an Aquabus ferry many years ago.  According to the dates on the plaque, this bridge was already being used, a year prior to me coming on the world scene.  I think that we are both looking a bit tired at this stage in the game, however it is a sobering thought to contemplate that the bridge will probably still be here long after I am gone.

As I have been writing today's post, I can't help but think of both my mom and my dad.  Wait, what do either of them have to do with today's subject?  That's easy for me to answer.  I will be forever grateful to my mom because of the many years that she volunteered at a thrift store, which in turn has instilled in me a lifelong interest in shopping at them.  It doesn't matter what thrift store that I go to, it always makes me think of mom.  And as far as dad goes?  I'm quite sure that my frugal nature stems from him, and also, today's date always reminds me of dad, as it would have been his birthday.

 

grateful for every breath,

 

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer (in "new" boots)


 


No comments:

Post a Comment