not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, November 21, 2020

HOW MANY DAYS SINCE ?

 POST # 431

 

 

One of the windows that I keep open on my computer is the "How many days since..." window. As has been mentioned before on this blog, I try to live my life these days as if I only have three more days to live. See here:http://wherespaulnow.blogspot.com/2019/12/three-more-days.html

  Of course, none of us know what our end date will be, but by focusing on this short time span, it helps me to pay even more attention to each moment of the day, realizing just how precious life is.

This past week, I hit the milestone of 24,000 days, on Monday, November 16th.  Measured in days, I've had a long run indeed.  If I use my dad's lifespan as a guide to go by, then I am getting close to the end.  Including his last day, he got to spend 24,605 days, here on the planet earth.  Yikes!!!  As of today (24,005), I am only 600 days away from tying dad's record.  That would put the date at July, 13th, 2022, which seems rather close to me, if I think of it in years, however if I focus on how many days, then it feels much, much longer.  It's one big guessing game to be sure.

I also discovered this week that it takes at least 24,000 days to grow a pair... of antlers that is.

These appeared earlier in the week , as I was walking along the beach.  I do love getting out for a daily walk, not because I have to, but rather because I like to.

And continuing on with this theme of "how many days", it has now been precisely 8,036 days since this event took place.


On a recent trip to my storage locker, I was looking through some old photos, and I came across this one.  In that group is one lone Canadian.  This was taken on my wedding day, on November 21st, 1998.  The location was a place called Cumberland House, in Lorne, Victoria, Australia.

The other memorable event that happened on this day, back in 1978 was my trip to Antarctica, which I wrote about here:http://wherespaulnow.blogspot.com/2018/11/forty-years-and-counting.html

Unfortunately, I haven't got any printed photos of that journey.  I was using slide film back then.  One of the photos I took on that flight was looking down at Mount Erebus, a volcano on Ross Island, the same volcano, that one year and one week later on November 28th, 1979, would be the mountain that the Air New Zealand flight would crash into, killing all onboard.  I doubt that any of the people on that flight would have thought that it would be their last day alive. 

It's looking like it's going to be a rather nice day out there today, so it's time for my morning cup of coffee, followed by my daily walk. 


grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer





No comments:

Post a Comment