not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, November 14, 2020

A FEW WORDS ON ACCEPTANCE

 POST # 430

MY CURRENT "FRIDGE"

It's good to just go with the flow, roll with the  punches, or in a word, ACCEPT what presents itself to you, as your life progresses along to its inevitable death.  At least, that's my opinion for what it is worth.  There is no end to the amount of issues that an individual could take on board, and get all twisted into a knot about, and for what?  The vast percentage of these issues, one has absolutely no control over.  As I continue to age, I have become more and more just an observer of life.  This has helped me immensely.  If for no other reason, it makes each day that much more enjoyable.  Who wouldn't want that?

A very small example is illustrated with the above photo of my "fridge" here at the hotel that is my current home.  This bargain basement room has everything I need to be comfortable, but it doesn't have a fridge.  I say, no problem.  However, I can open the window, and place anything that needs to stay cool out there on the roof top, and it works fine.  I ACCEPT that this is the situation, and in a very small way, it is a creative solution to a very small problem.

Here is another example.  Since arriving here in Vancouver, I have been shopping for a certain item, and so far, my search has been unsuccessful.  There have been a couple of times just in the past week, when I honestly thought that I could make the purchase, but for one reason or another, it didn't happen.  I could have moped around and become depressed or upset, but it certainly wouldn't have changed the situation one iota.  However, because I choose to accept what happens, these little disappointments just roll off of me, like water off of a duck's back as the old saying goes.

One more example, and then that is probably enough for today's post.  I mentioned this near the end of post # 428.  This thing which I have been doing very successfully now full-time for just over nine years, this house/pet sitting lifestyle, now appears for all intents and purposes to be coming to a close.  Even though there may be the occasional opportunity every now and again, I suspect that things will never get back to normal on this front.  And that's OK with me because once again, I choose to ACCEPT this fact.  My life is now starting to move in a different direction, and if I had a dollar for every time that that has happened in my life, I would be a rich man indeed.  Scratch that.  I am extremely rich, but I don't measure my wealth in $$$.  Perhaps that is one of the reasons that my journey has been such a joy to experience.  Who really knows?

This could be another way of looking at the word, acceptance.

And finally for today, one final photo that my dear friend Mary sent me this past week.  Here it is.

Now, I would like to think that this is Dora-dog accepting the fact that her favourite Canadian hasn't been around for quite some time, but the truth is that apparently she had such a good run at the "squirrel park" that she has decided to have a really well-deserved nap.  No doubt, she's dreaming of future squirrels to chase.


grateful for every breath,

 

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer














2 comments:

  1. Love the 1st paragraph. My Colombian wife grew up without much to do and wonders why we Canucks have to run around so much, instead of accepting/enjoying more quiet moments in life.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, thanks for the comment. I'm glad to know that a few Calgarians are still reading this blog.

    ReplyDelete