not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, January 7, 2020

THOUGHTFULLY WANDERING INTO 2020

POST # 389

"Any moment might be our last. Everything is more beautiful because we are doomed. You will never be lovelier than you are now. We will never be here again."

Homer- The  Iliad



2020 in Bear Creek, Yukon
(photo courtesy of my friends, Rose and Gary)




Considering that the above quote was written about 2800 years ago, it still rings true in the year 2020.  I'll come back to this Homer quote later, but first I have to take time to thank my friends Rose and Gary who provided this photo.  They did the same thing last year, and it is the perfect photo to start the New Year. The photo also reminds me of all of the good times spent in Bear Creek.  If I look past the tall trees on the right, I'm looking towards where Snug was located. Just thinking of Snug is enough to fill my brain with very pleasant memories. 

With a number like 2020, this must be the year for a clear vision of what is going on in our world.  Looking back at my post from one year ago today, I mentioned then that I suspected that the beginning of 2019 was going to look a lot better than the end of 2019.  From my point of view, I think that was pretty close to the truth.  Unfortunately, for some of my Australian friends, that statement is playing itself out right now.  I could make the same comment for 2020 and still be on the right track.  Apologies to all of the optimists in my reading audience.  

I am now entering the 15th year going down this path, and I have to admit that in spite of some of the truths that I have come across that shall we say are less than palatable, overall I am glad that I have continued the journey.  The rewards have far outweighed the costs.  I am curious to see how 2020 pans out.

Now getting back to the Homer quote which began this post.  I have to credit my dear friend, Dr. Guy McPherson for pointing it out to me, many years ago.  Perhaps there are plenty of people out there who would be familiar with this quote, but I was not one of them.  As stated above, I think that it still rings true all these years later.  I wonder what Homer would think about the state of the world in the year 2020?

Finally, let me end this post with one of my favourite songs.  It always puts a smile on my face when I hear it, and because I am here alone*, I can crank up the sound and sing along, which is exactly what I will be doing, once I post this entry.  Enjoy, and Happy New Year.

*Silken, the resident furball may take issue with the volume.




grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment