not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, January 14, 2020

SNOW, SNOW, SNOW and GO

POST # 390


MY CURRENT LOCATION

FROZEN HUMMINGBIRD FEEDER




Snow, snow and more snow.  Tomorrow, I go.

For the past couple of days, the snow has been relentless, and as I type these words, it's coming down even harder than before.  There is a snowfall warning in effect.

Having grown up on the Canadian prairie, seeing snow in January was normal.  Ah, those were the good old days.  Back then you could confidently predict what the jet stream was going to do, long before I even knew what a jet stream was.

But as the decades have gone by, and the Arctic ice sheet has continued its disappearing act, the effect on the jet stream has been very significant.  Now, instead of flowing around the globe quite rapidly and in a relatively straight line, it has become a slow and meandering flow of air. This jet stream that used to be a defining line between cold in the North, and hot in the South is now so abnormal, that it can be colder in Baja California than it is at the North Pole, which can be seen by clicking on the link below.


When the temperature at the North Pole is +20C or more warmer than it is down south, something isn't right.  This wavy jet stream trend will no doubt continue, and its effects will be felt all over the world.

In spite of all the snow here, at least it's not too cold.  The current temperature is minus 5C.  Just out of curiosity I decided to check out the temperature yesterday in Dawson City, Yukon, where I used to live.  The temperature was minus 47C.  Today it's warmed up ten degrees, so I imagine that all of the locals are putting on their summer clothing.

Aside from looking up the temperature yesterday, I also went for my daily walk. I haven't owned a pair of long pants for decades, so I certainly received plenty of strange looks and the occasional comment on my dress code in the snow storm.  

But soon it will be time to go.  This has been just a short sit, with one of my furball friends, so it has been very relaxing to be sure.  Silken spends the majority of her day in the bed by the window, and when she's not sleeping, she seems to be amused with all of these white things coming down out of the sky.  At least she doesn't have to go for a walk in it.  Being a three-legged furball, she would find that chore a particularly difficult one to perform.

ANOTHER STRESSFUL DAY FOR SILKEN

Tomorrow I leave for my next house/pet sit, with a furball breed that I haven't spent any time with up to this point.  The breed is Abyssinian.  I will be looking forward to getting to know this new critter as the days go by.


grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer



No comments:

Post a Comment