not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, January 21, 2020

INTRODUCING KWAME

POST # 391

KWAME

This is Kwame (pronounced KWA-MEE).  He is an Abyssinian breed, and this is the first time I have ever come across this type of furball.  One thing is for sure, Kwame is moving rapidly up my list of favourite furballs.  That says a lot, because he has had plenty of competition along the way.

I arrived at my current location only six days ago, at the beginning of a blizzard. The owners wanted to head out as soon as possible to the airport in Victoria, because the road conditions were deteriorating fast.  They ended up following a snowplow down the highway, and their comment to me in an email that same evening when they described the journey contained one word- horrendous.  

By morning there was probably a foot of snow on the ground, but all I had to do was stay inside, stay warm, and get to know Kwame.  

I have a spectacular view to look at each day, and this place is very quiet.  So what's not to like?  Nothing at all, and I am very sure that I will be content to stay here, and enjoy Kwame's company, as the days and weeks pass by.  The field out front has a variety of bird life to keep me entertained, and there is even a resident heron, that comes and goes from its perch on the tree in the foreground of the photo below.  The owners have provided me with some binoculars, and I have been fascinated watching this bird as it goes about its daily routine.  In my opinion, herons are about as close as it gets to looking at a prehistoric bird, and having just written that, I decided to look it up.  It appears that they have been around for up to 60 million years.  Sounds prehistoric to me. We humans think that we're so special, yet we've only been around for about 300,000 years. It's a blink of an eye in comparison. 



ICE FALLS JUST AFTER MY ARRIVAL

KWAME'S FAVOURITE LOCATION

That just about wraps it up for today's post, however I wanted to include a photo I received this past week from my friends John and Kim who live along the Klondike river near the village of Rock Creek, in the Yukon Territory.  The photo was taken on the evening of the Winter Solstice this past December, and the only reason that I include it here, is because I think that it is a spectacular photo.  So thanks to John and Kim.


And finally, my January 21st post wouldn't be complete without mentioning the dear woman who helped to raise me, my mom, Madonna.  If she were still alive today, it would be her 104th birthday.  Of course I miss her.  She was the best mother a son could ask for, and when I think of her it only brings back warm, loving memories.  If I could pin down the main reason that I feel so blessed on my journey through life, it is in a very large part the result of the love that I received from her through all the years that she was alive.  She always supported me on whatever path I wanted to follow.  What more could a son ask for?


grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer



No comments:

Post a Comment