not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, November 7, 2019

CROSSING THE CONTINENT AND BACK IN LESS THAN ONE WEEK

POST # 381





And so begins round number two for 2019 with Shadow.  He's barely had a chance to forget about me, and now I'm back.  I'm looking forward to a couple of weeks of very relaxing time with my furry little friend, and I can only assume that he feels the same.  As much as I enjoy my four-legged bonehead friends, they do require a little more work than your average furball, so the next couple of weeks will be a breeze by comparison.

I said so long to Shadow  on October 13th, and there has been plenty of wandering taking place in the meantime.  What hasn't been covered is my most recent journey of crossing the continent and back,  so let's get to it shall we?

I departed Vancouver Island on October 30th, and following the ferry journey to the mainland, I was expecting a long wait at the Vancouver airport, however that was not what ended up happening.  One of my two upcoming flights was unexpectedly cancelled.  This resulted in me having to make a quick on the spot decision, and catch the red-eye flight en route to Toronto.  Thankfully, there was just enough time to grab a quick bite to eat, and wash it down with an expensive airport beer.  With that pleasant task completed, I hurried to the gate, and moments later I was on my way to Toronto.

A couple of hours after landing it was time to go through the boarding process one more time, as well as clear U.S. Customs and security before finally boarding my second and final flight for the day, en-route to LaGuardia airport in New York city, arriving just after 11a.m. local time. The air portion of my eastward journey was now complete.

I'd been here twice before, so I had a pretty good idea of how to proceed.  The purchase of a Met ticket, allowed me to board the M60 bus which dropped me off a while later at the Harlem/125th street train station, for my journey north to Pleasantville.


 Upon arrival at the station, the rain began to fall, and I ducked into a pizza place for a yummy slice of pizza, for just one dollar.  This made up for the expensive meal the previous night at the airport.



Next stop, 36 Hobby street, Pleasantville, the current home of my dear friends, Guy and Pauline.  I arrived about ten hours ahead of schedule. I punched in the door code and walked in, which caused a chorus of barking from the resident Yorkies, aka, baby boneheads. This commotion alerted Guy, who was upstairs, but he soon joined us. He was surprised to see me, as he wasn't expecting me until after 11pm.  And just like that, the first part of my journey had come to its conclusion.

The following day, November 1st had been designated, "Milkshakes in Manhattan Day." I joined Guy and Pauline for a journey back into Manhattan, where we met up with a variety of people that they know, and after some sight-seeing, we ended up at the Hudson and Charles Dinette.  Milkshakes turned into a long lunch, and it seems that everyone had a very pleasant time, indeed.



WHAT HAPPENED TO THOSE MILKSHAKES???

That same evening, we enjoyed a pot-luck dinner back at Guy and Pauline's place, and somehow we didn't get to bed until 2am,  if my ageing memory is at all accurate.

The time spent in New York went by in the blink of an eye, and early on November 4th, I was on my way to JFK airport, accompanied by Guy, to continue on my journey.  Guy was off to Portland Oregon to visit a friend, and I was headed to Seattle, and eventually Shelter Bay, to join my dear friend Mary, and of course, adorable Dora-dog.






It's been a whirlwind of a week, and there were moments along the way, where I was as tuckered out as Dora-dog appears in the photo above.

But once again, I have Shadow to help keep me company, and it appears the time ahead should be quite relaxing.

DORA-DOG GIVES SHADOW A LESSON IN HOW TO RELAX
(AS IF HE NEEDS A LESSON)



maximizing my moments,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer



No comments:

Post a Comment