not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, November 28, 2019

D-DOG & ROCK DOG

POST #384

D-DOG

Earlier this year, I had the pleasure of taking care of Dee Dee, aka D-dog, and I guess that I must have done a good job, because her owner's have invited me back for round two.  Lucky me, and I would like to think, lucky D-dog as well.  As you can see, D-dog is a very mellow bonehead.

I arrived a couple of days ago, and we've now settled in to a comfortable routine, which includes multiple walks around the area, including some beach walks. On one of those beach walks we came across this rock, which if you look closely, sort of resembles a dog's head.

ROCK DOG

It can only be viewed at low tide, because once the tide is in, a significant portion of the rock is then submerged, and the image of the dog disappears.  As in life, timing is everything.

The remainder of this week is looking like it's going to be sunny, but on the chilly side of things.  I do love this late autumn weather, and D-dog and I will make sure to get out there as often as possible to enjoy it.  With such clear skies, the final walk of the day is my favourite one of all.  This location has a minimal amount of lights, so the night sky is in full view.  While D-dog does her thing, sniffing along the way, I spend the majority of my time looking up, and marvelling at the stars above.  D-dog brings my eyes back to ground level, when she has her evening poop.  That's when I know what my REAL purpose is, in the universe. I'm just a poop scooper.

maximizing my moments,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

And a PS: Today's entry wouldn't be complete if I didn't mention the significance of the date.  It was the date my dad was born, way back in the year 1916, and it is also the date, forty years ago in 1979 when Air New Zealand Flight 901 to Antarctica, crashed into Mount Erebus, killing all on board.  It's memorable to me, as I was on the same flight exactly one year and one week prior, on November 21st, 1978.  I can still remember standing in a youth hostel in Singapore on the day after the accident, staring at the newspaper article that described the event, and feeling stunned, saddened, and lucky all at the same time. All of those 257 people would  never have thought that November 28th, 1979 was going to be their final day.  Here is a link to a short video regarding the crash.
https://www.watchme.co.nz/news/erebus-flight-901-litany-of-lies/the-chippendale-report/?ref=WatchMeSlider1



No comments:

Post a Comment