not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, November 21, 2019

I GET TO WALK and SO LONG TO SHADOW

POST #383

 A LOVELY CABIN IN THE WOODS

Walking is something that I like to do, but more importantly, it's something that I still GET to do.  After my misadventure of tumbling down a mountain back on March 4th, 2012 which resulted in a severely broken right leg, there were many times, as I lay in my hospital bed, when I wondered if I would ever walk again. Considering that the first words out of the surgeon's mouth were, and I quote, "you have a very serious injury here, and if it gets infected, we will have to amputate your foot", I think that I was very lucky indeed. And since that date, anytime that I may have an ache or pain somewhere in my body, all I have to do is remind myself of how things might have turned out, and it becomes very easy to count my blessings.

The years continue to pass by, and the older one becomes, the faster the years go.  Thankfully, with each passing year, my leg has continued to get stronger, primarily because I try to make a daily effort of getting out for a walk.  It is truly a luxury, in my opinion, and I am reminded of this on occasion, when I pass by someone who is in a wheelchair, or maybe someone else who has one or both legs missing.  I can be moved to tears on occasion, when I think about their misfortune, compared with my continued good fortune.

On a recent walk, I came across the little cabin featured above.  What a beautifully constructed abode that I would be happy to live in for a while, but unfortunately this one isn't available.

Continuing on my walk, I took a moment to watch the sun's rays shine through the forest which surrounded me, and later on, marvel at the sunlight on a weeping willow tree.  These are more examples of views that I probably would have taken for granted, years ago.  But no more.  I try to be as present as I possibly can be nowadays.




One of the ways in which I try to stay focused on the present when I am out walking, is to concentrate on each step, and focus on my breathing.  It sounds simple, but try it sometime.  I've found that it is not as easy as it sounds.   I find it a worthwhile exercise.


Enough about walking.  Time to move on to the furball in residence, Mr. Shadow.  This has been my second visit this year with him, and I have to say, that Shadow is one very mellow dude. Don't take my word for it.  Just have a look at these photos.  








SHADOW'S SHADOW

There is no need for an alarm clock, because Shadow is always there each morning to assist the house sitter in waking up, so that I can feed him his first meal of the day.  

All in all, it's been a very pleasant time here, but later today I will say so long to Shadow for 2019, with the expectation that I will see him again in 2020.  As long as we're both still kicking, it should come about.

maximizing my moments,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment