not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, July 28, 2019

SO LONG NEW ZEALAND


POST # 368
 
 
 
 SUNRISE ON RAKINO ISLAND
 
 
 
Well, I got back before I left, which always happens when you fly from New Zealand, back to North America.  I departed Auckland at 1:30pm, July 27th, and arrived in San Francisco at 6:30am, July 27th.  Another adventure to add to the very long list, in an adventurous life.
 
 I was originally scheduled to depart on July 31st, and considering that I went to Auckland airport on July 26th, to say goodbye to my friends, Guy and Pauline, it was looking like I was going to get to know the airport very well indeed.  Not that I am trying to set any new record for airport stays, but it would have been a new record for me.  After our goodbye, I settled in for my first night, and when I awoke at 4am, I felt surprisingly well rested.
 
 While pondering my situation, I noted that I had all of my basic needs met- food, shelter, water, beer, and the icing on the airport cake, a free shower.  This was bloody luxury, and I would have had no problem hanging out until the 31st.  But a call to United Airlines allowed me to get onboard this earlier flight, and for only the small fee of $50.70CDN.  How could I say no?
 
 It has been a wonderful couple of weeks, and it was great to have the opportunity to re-visit places that I've been before on both the North and South Island.  The journey brought back some very special memories for me, which happened to include driving down the road to the Waitomo Caves, where in 1992, as I rolled into town on my bicycle, I was hit by a Maui Camper van filled with German tourists in a rush to get to the next glow-worm viewing. Their side mounted, very large, rear-view mirror hit me square in the back.  One minute I was riding happily along, and then BANG, I was flat on the ground.  It took a few days to recover, before I could  resume my journey back to Auckland.  
 
 As I write these words (on-board the aircraft on July 27th), Guy and Pauline will be just getting back to New York, and Kevin is now settled back in on Rakino island.  Not too long from now, I'll be back in Canada, and this adventure will come to an end.
 
 There are plenty of photos to remind me of the time spent in New Zealand, so I'll conclude this post with a selection of them, in no particular order. More precious memories to enjoy.
Many thanks to Guy, Pauline and Kevin for their friendship, laughter and generosity along the way, and to our gracious hosts, Lee and Chris on the South Island.  I'm one lucky Canuck.
 
 
 
 AUCKLAND SKYLINE ENROUTE TO RAKINO ISLAND
 
 RAKINO 
 
 CLOUDY BAY ON SOUTH ISLAND
 
WELLINGTON SKYLINE
 
 HEADING TO PICTON

LOLA

CHRIS, GUY, PAULINE, LEE, KEVIN
 
GOOD ADVICE
 
 MORE GOOD ADVICE

LAKE TAUPO ROAD SIGN

MOUNT NGAURUHOE

INTER ISLAND FERRY
 
 LEAVING RAKINO
 
 TAUPO ACCOMMODATION
 
 GUY ON THE AM SHOW
 
 
ON THE FERRY




Image
LOLA GIVING LEE A HIGH 5 (4?)

Image
RUBY

maximizing my moments,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment