not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, May 14, 2019

YOUNG DOG, OLD DOG, SOMETHING REALLY, REALLY, REALLY OLD AND A BUG

POST # 358

I must be one of the luckiest people alive.  In the past week I have had the great good fortune to spend time with my two most favourite dogs on the planet.

First, it was young Dora-dog, on a quick visit in Washington, followed by a week long visit here with good old  Mac.  I would be hard pressed to come up with any other canine candidates (still living), that would top either one of these mutts.









-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------



And now for something, really, really, really old.  Here is a photo of a petrified tree from the Petrified Forest in Arizona, sitting upon a log here in the yard.   Mac's owner's brought it back with them on a recent visit there.



This specimen is somewhere between 211 and 218 million years old, and it is without a doubt the oldest thing that I have ever come across in my 64 years of existence on the planet.  This certainly puts one's lifespan in perspective. 

 However, my life is very long compared to this little bug that I happened to come across the other day on the deck railing.  It was kind enough to stay put, while I pulled out my magnifying glass to capture it with a close up view, in order to marvel at its exquisite beauty.





I'm just here for a short time (at the house-sit I mean), but one could argue the same for my life in comparison to that petrified tree sample.

I'll be on the road again soon, and I will have another opportunity to see Dora-dog for a few more days.  From young, to old, and back to young once again.  Perhaps it would be interesting as a human to go back to being young again, but I rather enjoy this ageing process, as I think that at least some wisdom has resulted from the journey.  

maximizing my moments,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment