not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, May 7, 2019

THE ROOTS OF A WANDERER

POST #357

circa 1905-1910

There's no telling, where the roots of my wandering lifestyle began, but perhaps it's partially genetic in nature.  

A very long time ago (at least by human standards), two brothers, Jacques and Nicolas Marcotte, left their home in Fécamp, France en-route to North America.   Jacques was 23, and Nicolas was 25.  They settled in what is now Trois Riviéres, Quebec, Canada.  The year was 1667.  When they said goodbye to France, it would be forever.

Soon afterwards, the baby making began, and roughly 200 years later, my paternal grandfather, Joseph Paul was born.  That's him holding the rifle in the photo, which was taken at the Hudson Bay Hotel, in the town of Hudson Bay, Saskatchewan.  

I never had the opportunity to meet him, but according to family history, he had somewhat of an adventurous spirit.  He even attempted a journey up to the Yukon way back when, with the only form of transport being that of horses.  The journey was unsuccessful, but it goes to show that Joseph Paul had a sense of adventure. Maybe my successful trip to the Yukon many years later was a continuation of that original adventure.

SNUG AT NIGHT (Time exposure photo)

Whatever the reason(s), my life has been one of adventure.  It has brought me far more rewards than regrets, and this lifestyle fits me like an old comfortable shoe, or more accurately, like my current set of  old comfortable, thrift store purchased, second hand boots.

With that in mind, when this post is published, I will once again be wandering.  Pleasantville will be a very pleasant memory, and I will be en-route to visit my dear friend Mary, and her four-legged companion, Dora-dog.  This will be a short stop on my way to my next house/pet sit back on Vancouver island.  I wonder what grandpa would have thought about the distance I will have travelled in the last few hours, and all of it without the use of a horse, but plenty of horse-power. By the time I reach my destination today, I will have travelled just under 5200 kilometers, which by a strange coincidence is about the same distance from Fécamp to Trois Rivieres, Quebec, and I will have done so in just over 6 hours. Better yet, I wonder what Jacques and Nicolas would have thought?  Trains, buses, and jet aircraft.  They would be dumbstruck, if they were alive today.

GRANDPA AND GRANDMA & FAMILY
(dad is at the far left)




Whether any of these individual's genes had some impact on the life I've chosen, I will never know.  And it really doesn't matter anyhow.  At least I can look myself in the mirror, and know deep down, that I have lived a life that is true to my adventurous spirit.  


THESE BOOTS WERE MADE FOR WANDERING

maximizing my moments,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer





2 comments:

  1. Paul à Fecamp ,il y a une rue des freres marcottes , vous n'etes pas oubliés in Fecamp, there is a rue des frères marcottes, you are not forgotten

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Merci, and thanks for reading the blog post.

      Delete