not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

SETTLING IN

POST # 217

June has arrived, and if the first week is any indication, it's shaping up to be a warm month.
Here at my house sit in Port Townsend, I'm content to be an observer of the nature that surrounds me.  While out for a bike ride along the waterfront the other day I came across many wildflowers with very vivid colours, so naturally I was tempted to take a couple of photographs to add to this blog post.






There is plenty of bird life around here, and about a week ago I saw one lonely little hummingbird out in the backyard.   As luck would have it,  after a bit of scrounging around in the garage, I happened to find a hummingbird feeder, which I've rigged up just outside the back windows.  No sooner had I filled it up and the party was on.  From one lone hummingbird, I now have four of these wonderful little creatures.  I love to just sit outside and watch them as they come and go.  Perhaps I'll actually get a photo with some birds in it at some point.


It didn't take long for them to empty this first batch of sugar water, and today I must replenish the supply in order to keep my new found friends happy.  

Last night I was outside and took this photo of the interior of the house.



It's a comfortable place to be, although the last couple of nights have been rather warm, especially upstairs where the bedroom is.  There are windows that can be opened to get a bit of a breeze circulating, however they don't have screens on them, and one thing about this place is that it has an abundance of mosquitos.  If the heat continues, I may consider sleeping on the floor downstairs.

Finally, yesterday I decided to tackle the job of grass cutting which is quite a project on this 5 acre property.   The back yard is now done and today, I'll do the front yard.  I can't complain because I'm just grateful that I have two feet to walk around with, although my right ankle was a bit sore after yesterday's effort.





More news next week.  It's now time to go and water the blueberry bushes.

Happy Trails,
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer 

This just in from a few moments ago. Look closely on the right hand side of the feeder.




























No comments:

Post a Comment