not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, February 14, 2016

SATURNA SOLITUDE

POST # 202



I've used the above image before, however it makes me laugh every time I see it.  In addition, I now have a furball to care for which looks suspiciously like the one above.


Introducing, PEBBLES.  She may not look as annoyed as the other furball, but she does have her moments. Thankfully,  I've now been here long enough for her to decide that she will PUT UP with me.  It's so nice to be WANTED.

Yesterday I went for a walk from here to the beach at the west end of Trueworthy Road.  It was a grey old day, however the walk was an enjoyable one, just the same.  Plenty of scenery to look at, and the water was alive with seals.  The park at the end of the road is called Thomson Park, and while I was there I took a photo of the sign which explains some of the history of this area.



I have had a few days of sunny weather, so I made sure to take advantage of them by doing some exploring around the area.  Immediately north of my location, the land rises up rather abruptly, and in order to get to the other parts of the island, one has to climb over a very steep grade.  This road is not for the faint of heart.  It's also narrow, so caution is advised.  Below is a photo I took the other day when I was returning to my  housesit location.


Along this road there is a turn off that will take you to the top of Mount Warburton Pike, which at 397 metres (1303 feet) is the highest point on the island.  It's a spectacular view, and when I was up there the other day I took a video.  I mention in the video that I am on one of the highest points on Saturna, which was true as I was slightly downhill from the mountain's summit.

 Unfortunately, I couldn't see my house from this location, so I decided to take another trip up the hill the next day, to see if I could spot my place.  It took some effort, and there were a couple of precarious places that I had to be very careful of my next step, but in the end, it was worth it, and I achieved my goal.


I placed a biodegradable marker on a tree, so that when I'm sitting here at the house, I can  spot where I was on the mountain.  With all the rain we've had lately, I don't imagine that my marker will be there for very long.  It will become part of the soil at some point in time.

Back here at the house, there are a few choice places to sit, if the weather is nice.




And finally, after a hard day of pet/house sitting, it's always good to enjoy a spectacular sunset overlooking South Pender island.


The day is slipping away, and there is walking to be done before the sun goes down, so I'll be on my merry way, and continue this story next week.

Happy Trails,
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment