not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, December 28, 2013

THAT'S A WRAP (WELL, ALMOST)

POST # 101

I always take a few moments at the end of each year to look back on it, and also look ahead to the next one. This year will be no different, and in just a few days time, I'll find a quiet corner to settle into, and spend some time in thoughtful silence.

I guess it's just human nature, this looking back, and looking ahead, and I suppose there can be some benefits derived from the process. If there is a problem at all, it's that we as humans probably don't spend enough time in the present moment, the only moment we have. I am as guilty as the next person, but I do try to at least be aware of the fact, and bring myself back to the NOW.

Just yesterday in fact, I found myself thinking back to the year 1996. This came about because I was reading a story of expedition leader Greg Mortimer on board the ship Akademik Shokalskiy which is currently stuck in pack ice off the coast of Antarctica. Greg was one of the key people assisting me back then in my effort to spend an entire year alone at a place called Cape Adare in Antarctica. The project never happened, and at the time, it was a great disappointment to me. Nowadays, it doesn't seem very important in the greater scheme of things. I was happy to see that Greg is still doing something that he loves.
Greg onboard the Akademik Shokalskiy. Photo credit: Alok Jha The Guardian Newspaper

I guess the other thought that came to mind, as I was reading about the Antarctic story, was the fact that I sure have met some interesting people along my journey through life, and I have learned something from each and every one of them. Meeting new people has always been very easy for me, and I have no idea where that skill comes from. Perhaps it's like most other things, the more you do of it, the better you get. Who knows? It has allowed me to take a broad view of life and I like that fact. As my journey proceeds, I continue to meet new people and I suppose this will be the case for me right up until the end, and that's perfectly fine with me. The rewards have far outweighed the costs.

So much for looking back. In a few days it will be 2014 and I can sit here now, and try to plan out what I might want in order to have a good year, whatever that might mean. But to a certain extent, it is out of my control and I understand that, however it's always fun to at least think about what life might hold in store.

I suspect I will be following closely the subjects I have written about in past blog entries, much to the chagrin of the family and friends who have had to be on the receiving end of my thoughts. Hey, but no one ever said that being a modern day Cassandra was ever going to be easy. I accept that. At least it keeps life interesting, and who knows, it may even influence a few people along the way. A line from a Bruce Cockburn song comes to mind- "got to kick at the darkness 'till it screams daylight."

I am going to attempt to get more from each moment as time presses on, however, writing this goal, and doing it are two entirely different things. Being aware of the fact that the mind has a tendency to drift forward and back is half the battle, and each time I find myself doing so, I will come back to the moment.

And the moment now is being influenced by Jackson and Peach, wanting some attention and wanting a walk. I'm not sure what critter was roaming around in the back yard last night, but it sure has these two itching to get back outside and bark up a storm, as they patrol their territory. My guess is that it was a cat sneaking around in the dead of night.

That's probably enough writing for this morning, so I'll leash up the baby boneheads and head out for a stroll. It will be good for all of us, step by step, moment by moment, sniffing, peeing, and thinking. In case there is any confusion, I will be the one doing the thinking. After all, the blog is called the Thoughtful Wanderer, not the Sniffing, Peeing Wanderer. Perhaps my readership would go up if I changed the name though. Hmmmmmm!!!!!!!


Happy Trails,

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer





































1 comment:

  1. According to legend, Cassandra had red hair kept in curls, blue eyes, and fair skin and she was beautiful, intelligent, charming, desirable, elegant, friendly, and gentle, but she was considered to be insane.
    Hmmmmm, indeed!

    ReplyDelete