not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, December 21, 2013

THE THOUGHTFUL WANDERER SCORES A CENTURY

JACKSON AND PEACH CHECK OUT THE SNOW ON DEC. 20, 2013 in VANCOUVER



POST # 100


Way back in October 2011 when I began to write this blog, I don't think that I ever really expected to reach the century mark of 100 entries, but as of today, this is now the case. It's humbling to realize that my blog, a collection of digital ones and zeros on a computer screen has now made it to its hundredth birthday, and that I won't even come close to that mark. Oh well, such is the plight of a human living on planet earth in the year 2013.

I spent some time going through all my posts prior to writing this one, just to have another look at where I've been over the past more than two years and I found it quite remarkable. In round numbers, I have travelled almost 37,000 kilometers (about 23,000 miles). In fact, those numbers are as the crow flies. If the actually road distances were calculated, it's probably closer to 40,000 kilometers (just under 25,000 miles) which is pretty darn close to the earth's circumference at the equator. Wow!! And yet, I've spent this entire time in only three countries, Canada, USA, and Mexico. It appears that the "wanderer" part of "The Thoughtful Wanderer" is alive and well, at least for now.

My travels have taken me to over twenty different house/pet sitting assignments, some of which I returned to more than once. British Columbia, Alberta, and the Yukon in Canada, Washington, Oregon, California, Utah, Colorado, New Mexico, Arizona, and Hawaii in the USA and Baja in Mexico, round out the list of locations visited. It's been quite an experience to have taken part in and certainly not boring, in spite of the fact that one of the places visited was Boring, Oregon. All along the way, my computerized journal has kept track of it, and I am grateful for that.

Of course, I have met some wonderful animals along the way, including some of the human variety, and that, more than anything else, has made the journey more rewarding than I could have ever imagined. Without naming names, the human animals which have made an impression will know who they are, and as far as the four legged critters go, it would be extremely difficult for me to single out just one or two. Let's just say that they have all been a real treat to care for and it's been fun to do. In alphabetical order, they are as follows:
Blueberry, Bob, Breaker, Dusty, Einstein, Essie, Felix, Gaffer, Jackson, Jake, James, Jill, Lamington, Maggie, Marley, Mr. Bumples, Myrtle, Ollie, Oscar, Otto, Peach, Peugeot, Pillow, Polly, Roxie, Sadie, Sally, Shadow, Skidder, Snoop, Sophie, Tai, Tika, Trouble, and finally Watson. In addition to the above dog and cat list, I also cared for six chickens and two birds whose names escape me at this time.

Now I am back in Vancouver for a spell caring for Jackson and Peach again which is always plenty of fun. Yesterday morning when we awoke, there was a huge dump of snow on the ground, which surprized all three of us. In just a few short hours from now, it will be officially the first day of winter, so the snow arrived just slightly ahead of schedule. Tonight, up in Dawson City, there will be plenty of partying going on. It's always a big deal up there, this winter solstice thing because the locals can now look forward to the days getting longer. Having spent many long nights living up there at this time of year, I can totally understand the cause for celebration.

The snow stopped falling late yesterday, however today there is still plenty of it remaining on the ground and I suspect that will be the case for the next little while. Jackson and Peach with their short legs, and me with a wonky leg, have to be extra careful on our walks now, but so far, so good. The owners managed to escape to Hawaii just in the nick of time, and after sending them a video clip of the dogs in the snow yesterday, I'm quite sure that they are glad that they left when they did.

The baby boneheads are giving me the look, as in, "get away from the computer and come and play with us for a while," so I'll use that as my excuse to end this prattle, and go have some fun with Jackson and Peach.

Happy Trails,

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer






















No comments:

Post a Comment