not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, December 7, 2023

VEGEMITE, CONDO-VILLE, AND MY SAD MOOD FOR TODAY

 POST # 577

My niece Kathryn departed yesterday to the land of Australia, which is also the land of Vegemite, and as a result, Uncle Paul, aka The Thoughtful Wanderer is now camped out at her condo in Vancouver.  She must like Vegemite, because the small jar on top of the larger jar, is attached to her key chain.  Nothing like a daily reminder to get in your dose of Vegemite.  And because she has a large jar here in the condo, I'm sure that I will take advantage of that fact, and enjoy some myself over the next couple of weeks.  According to the jar, Vegemite is now 100 years old.  I wonder how much of it those Aussies have consumed in that time period?  Years ago, when I lived and worked in Melbourne, I actually did a sales call out to the factory where Vegemite is produced.  I probably saw more Vegemite in the couple of hours that I was at the factory, than the average Aussie sees in a lifetime.  It was an interesting experience.  Hopefully, the equipment that I sold to the company, helped them keep the Vegemite production line working in tip top shape.

So it's time to settle in to the land of condos here in downtown Vancouver, which is quite a change from the peace and quiet of Shelter Bay in Washington, from where I departed earlier today.


Condo-ville

As you can see from my ninth floor view, I'm surrounded by condos in every direction.  Hopefully, I will adapt to this new location fairly soon.

The journey northward this morning was grey and rainy, as the Amtrak train rolled its way to Vancouver.  The grey sky reflected my mood, as I always feel sad, when I have to say goodbye to Mary and Dora-dog.


  As the train sat on the tracks, waiting for other train traffic to clear on the other side of the Fraser river, I gazed out the window, and wondered just how long our delay would be?  Thankfully, it wasn't long, and within about ten minutes, we were once again on our way to the Central Pacific Station terminal in Vancouver.  We arrived about 12:30 pm, which was about half an hour behind schedule.  Thankfully, I didn't need to make any other transport connections, so I wasn't concerned about the late arrival.  Customs was a breeze for a change, and soon I was on my way to my new location, via my other niece's place, where I had to collect the Vegemite key for this place.

And even though I am now settled here in Condo-ville, my mind is still in Shelter Bay, where dear Mary and Dora-dog are now back at home.  Mary will now be the one who keeps Dora-dog amused, and I'm sure she does a good job of it.  After all, in Dora-dog's mind, Mary is #1, which is as it should be. But having said that, I am the one who will be missing out on the daily play sessions, like chase the ball.

But it is what it is, and there is a plan to be back there for another visit in the not too distant future.  I will hold on to that thought, as I settle into my pet free condo for the next couple of weeks, and work my way through that jar of Vegemite.


grateful for every breath,

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment