not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, December 14, 2023

DOG POOP, SMARTPHONES, AND A TRIP TO GRANVILLE ISLAND

 POST # 578

Now that certainly isn't a typical photo for this blog, but it got me to thinking earlier today.  I was walking down to the Aquabus Ferry terminal in order to catch a ride to Granville Island.  Lately, it seems like almost every time that I come across dog poop on the sidewalk (which is often), most of it has been stepped upon by some poor soul.  This made me wonder about why that might be the case.  My hypothesis is that with the vast majority of smartphones in use these days, most people are more preoccupied with looking at their screens, instead of watching where they are walking, and as a result we end up with piles of squished dog poop.  Now, it's just an idea on my part, but I wouldn't at all be surprised if there's something to it.  I'll continue my research, each time that I go for a walk around here.  Maybe I will be lucky to witness a smartphone carrying, dog poop stepping human, which will help to prove my hypothesis, and if so, I'll mention it to them as they are scraping the dog poop off of their shoe.

My purpose for going to Granville Island today was to look for some $1 bags of fruit.  My trip was a success, and I arrived home with a bag of apples and bananas, enough to last me another week.  

And an added bonus, was that I ran into the only two people that I still know from my old Aquabus days, Congo Bob, and Logan.  It was just a fluke in timing, but I was happy to see them both.

After picking up my fruit, it was time to head back home, but not before I drooled over the baked goods at one of the stands in the market.


I didn't linger here for long, and wisely decided to head back to the Aquabus dock, and make my journey home.


Logan, mentioned above is the taller of the two people standing next to the Aquabus.  I saw Congo Bob when I arrived at the island.  

My journey home was uneventful, and without a smartphone in hand, I managed to dodge all of the dog poop that I came across on my way back.

grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment