not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, February 21, 2023

FROM HOUSE SITTER TO CAREGIVER

 POST # 539

I said goodbye to Trixie yesterday.  The next time I see her, she'll have a bunch of pups.  At least that is what the owner is expecting.  I enjoyed my time with her, but I certainly won't be available when all the pups arrive.  That would be too much to handle for this house sitter.  Besides, it's now time to change occupations.  Starting last night, I am now going to be a caregiver.

I departed Vancouver late yesterday afternoon, en route to Mount Vernon WA, via Amtrak.  The train was absolutely full, but the trip went smoothly enough.  My destination was Shelter Bay, and Mary's friend Karen was at the station to pick me up.  Mary has just had a hip replaced, and Karen has been here for the first week of her recovery.  Last night was the beginning of my training session as a caregiver, and I'll be here for a month.  I was rather overwhelmed with everything last night, and sleep was in short supply, as Mary has to take medication every three hours, which means getting up and assisting her.  Karen has stayed an extra day to help me learn the ropes.  I sure hope that I can do a good job after she leaves.

It certainly is a new challenge for the Thoughtful Wanderer, but it is one that I am more than willing to accept.  

That's all the news for this post, as I am feeling rather sleep deprived as I write these words, and besides, I have other more important things to do right now, in  my  new role as caregiver.


grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment