not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Friday, October 7, 2022

MEMORIES OF MOM

 POST # 521

Considering that this blog is primarily about me thoughtfully wandering around between one place and the next, and spending time with lovable four-legged critters along the way, it may seem odd that I have a photo of my dear old mom at the top of this post.  Let me explain.

It's easy for me to think of mom every single day, as this photo is one of three that I have on permanent display next to my computer.  However, this past week she has been on my mind more than ever.  The reason?  Because of a couple of dates.  You would have suspected that, me being the "date guy" that I am.

The two dates that are etched into my memory are September 29th, and October 6th.  Back in September 2007, at the age of 91, mom fell and broke her hip, which resulted in a trip to the hospital, and a subsequent hip replacement. 

When I received the news, I requested time off from work at Aquabus Ferries, and flew out to Calgary to see her in hospital.  To be honest, I can't remember just how many visits I made to the hospital, but I do remember that my last visit, and as it turned out, the very last time that I would see her alive, was on September 29th.  On one of my visits, prior to the date just mentioned, a young female physiotherapist came to see mom.  Her purpose for being there was to get mom out of bed, and with the aid of a walker, to get her to walk out of the room and down the hall.  She said something to the effect, "c'mon Madonna, we need to get that new hip working."  I'm not sure how long it had been since she had had the operation, but it wouldn't have been very long.  I stood there and watched, as mom struggled to get out of her bed, and grab a hold of the walker, in preparation for her journey down the hall.  It was tough for me to watch, as she looked so very frail at this point in time.  In spite of that, she managed to start slowly walking towards the foot of her bed, where she would have to make a left turn in order to proceed out of the room and down the hall.  She made the turn alright, and shortly after that, she made me chuckle.  What on earth could she have done to make me laugh in this situation?  Well, instead of now going straight ahead, she walked to the other side of the bed, and made another left hand turn which pointed her back in the direction of the bed.  What made me chuckle, was the look that she gave the physiotherapist.  It was basically a look of "to hell with you lady, I'm heading back to my bed in spite of what you may want me to do."

On my final visit, I brought a framed photo of me on one of the Aquabus ferries, and I placed it where she could look at it.  I told her that I would be able to watch over her, even though I wouldn't be there in person.  And with that, I gave her one last hug, told her that I loved her and left to return to Vancouver, not knowing at the time, that I would never see her again.

She died one week later, on October 6th.

I have lived a life with few regrets, however I do regret not staying in Calgary longer than I did.  Of course, on the day that I left, I couldn't know that she would die the following week, and so it seemed the right decision at the time.  What's that old saying of hindsight being 20/20?

All of this happened 15 years ago.  And once again I am struck at just how fast life seems to go by.  In spite of mom not being around, she has still managed to help me appreciate the rapid passing of time.  Each day is so very precious, so it's wise to try and make the most of it.

grateful for every breath,

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer



No comments:

Post a Comment