not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, September 28, 2022

MINDING THE MANSION

 POST # 520

I'm pretty sure that the owners of the house that I am currently residing at, wouldn't think of their place as a mansion.  However, compared to my little shack in the Yukon which was only 80 square feet in total, this place is well and truly a mansion.

This is the third time that I have had the pleasure to live here, and I count myself very fortunate indeed.  This was Murphy's residence up until recently, which I mentioned in last week's post.  It certainly is quiet without him around, however I do have a pond full of Koi in the backyard, and it's surprising to me just how much enjoyment I derive from watching them swim around.  Twice each day, I throw a couple of handfuls of food into the water, and even before I get the container open, they are all lining up with their mouths wide open.  In between feeding times, they are happy to swim around and just be coy Koi.


The back yard has become my favourite place to hang out at the moment.  The autumn weather is magnificent, so just being outside is a wise use of my precious time.


Prior to my arrival, I was house sitting just four doors down the street from here, and last Friday, I had the pleasure of visiting with my sister Gerry, her daughter Nicole, and her daughter in law, Taylor.  Taylor couldn't stay very long, but I was grateful for her offer to bring Gerry over.  Here they are arriving and being greeted by Sami.


We had a great visit, and it was good to enjoy some family chit chat.  I get to see Nicole every now and again, as she lives in Vancouver, however I don't think that I have seen Gerry since 2012.  Where do the years go?


The mansion has a second floor, and if I time it right, and the weather is cooperating, it's a good place to watch the sunset.  I do love watching the sun go down.


Sami, the Border Collie didn't seem to be too happy about my departure from his place the other day, but he's back with his owners now on a vacation on the west coast of Vancouver Island, so I am very sure that he isn't thinking about the pet sitter.  But the other day when I took this photograph, he did appear to be somewhat sad.


Thankfully for the both of us, Sami's owners have a couple more vacations planned for next year, so it looks like we will be able to be together again.  

In the meanwhile, I'll just be hanging out with the Koi, here at the mansion, enjoying each day as it presents itself to me.

grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer









No comments:

Post a Comment