not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, September 21, 2022

MURPHY MEMORIES AND MORE

 POST # 519


I posted this photo of Murphy, exactly three years ago to the day.  

If it wasn't for Murphy, I wouldn't be at this house sit.  To be more specific, if it wasn't for Murphy's owners, I wouldn't be at my current location.  They put in a good word for me, so here I am,  only four houses away from where Murphy used to live.  Unfortunately, he died earlier this year, which was very sad news indeed.  

Because I am in the same neighbourhood, and walking in the same places that I did when Murphy was alive, I can't help but think of him each and every day that I am here.  Thankfully, I have a new bonehead to keep me occupied, and her name is Sami.  She is a 12 y/o Border Collie, and it didn't take long for her to accept the new human in the house.  



All it took was a few walks around Murphy's neighbourhood, some ball playing in the back yard, and the occasional dog treat, and all is well.  After a long walk, Sami loves to settle in beside me on the deck, and have her afternoon nap.


She's a wonderful companion to have around, and I am very fortunate to have the opportunity to take care of her this week.  It's only a short sit, but the owners have already booked me for two more gigs next year.

It's a great location, and the weather has been superb since I arrived.  It's my favourite time of the year, and Sami and I are taking full advantage of getting outside and enjoying as much of the lovely weather as we can each and every day.

And just like where I have come from in Qualicum Beach, there are plenty of ripe tomatoes to enjoy.  Certainly more than I'll be able to eat while I'm here.


The owners arrive back home this coming Saturday, and as luck would have it, I can just wander up the road to where Murphy used to live, and settle in there until early November, as the owners are taking a vacation.  I am thankful for the opportunity to have a roof over my head, but the house will certainly seem empty, without Murphy around. At least his memory will remain firmly planted in my mind.

grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

The last sunset for summer of 2022.










No comments:

Post a Comment