not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, September 7, 2021

BICYCLE EXPLORATION

 POST #469


 In all my travels, I have never been to a location that offers so many different small communities to visit on a bicycle.  On average, all are located approximately 15 kilometers from my current "home" and thus provide an enjoyable bike ride to and from each one.  Yes, there are a few hills every now and again, but the terrain is flat for the most part. If you know anything about cycling, it's not the hills that are the biggest issue.  It's always, always, always whether or not there is a headwind.  A strategic look at the weather info each day prior to my ride, gives an indication of the wind direction and speed.  This allows me to plan my trip accordingly.  My outbound journey is taken against the wind, so that on my return home, I can have an easier ride.  Of course, the wind can always change, but so far this hasn't happened.  Even now, after thirty-four years, I can still remember a day on my bike ride from Vancouver to Los Angeles, when I encountered the headwind from hell. It was somewhere in northern California.  By that point along the journey, I was in very good shape, and yet, I had to stand up to exert enough energy on my pedals in order to travel downhill.  That's how strong the headwind was.  So if I ever needed a lesson about the wind direction, I learned it on that September day back in 1987.

My bicycle explorations have taken me to a variety of communities close by including, Campbellville, Acton, Aberfoyle, Eden Mills, Rockwood, and Guelph.  The trip to Guelph was one of my earlier forays and even though I may feel smarter having visited the Guelph University campus, it didn't take me long to decide that I don't want to do any more visits to Guelph.  I have nothing against this city, except for the fact that it is a city.  I do spend some of my time in urban areas, however I try to keep it to a bare minimum these days.  I much prefer the peace and quiet of the rural environment.  My current location fits the bill.

At this time, I've travelled all the points of the compass on my daily rides, so I am now faced with return journeys to the same places, or alternatively to venture somewhat farther afield than  15 kilometers.  Whatever I end up doing, it will be worthwhile, and good exercise to boot.  As has been mentioned before on this blog, I'm happiest when I am riding a bicycle.



grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment