not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, August 7, 2021

LOVING THE OUTDOORS, AND TIME TO MOVE ON

 POST # 465


It's time for this wanderer's feet to once again be on the move, and continue on this adventure that we call life.
This has been my first house sit since November of last year.  Back then, I had just completed my housesit assingment in the Yukon. (Side note:  At the present time, my friends in the Yukon are on an evacuation alert, due to a large fire, close to their property.  I emailed the other night, and so far they are still OK)

This current gig comes on the heels of being stuck in "prison" during my forced quarantine, after arriving back in Canada from the USA.  I hope that I never have to go through that again, however I will say this about the experience.  It has allowed me to have a whole new appreciation of having the freedom to just be outdoors.  It's probably something that most people take for granted on a daily basis.  I was that way as well, but not any longer.  So if you're feeling a bit down on life, or bored or thinking "poor me" for whatever reason, then I suggest you lock yourself into a room in your house, and then stay there for 14 days.  Once you emerge, you too will have a new found appreciation for being outside.  I can almost guarantee it.

So, since my arrival here on July 20th, I have made a daily effort to spend as much time outdoors as possible.  I take notice of the little things even more intensly than before, like for instance this spider web, which is a work of art, if one bothers to pay attention.

Because I have had the use of a bicycle, I have made it a point to go riding at least once if not twice a day.  One of my favourite rides is to Cowichan Bay, which is about 13 kilometres from my current location.  It's about a 45 minute ride, depending on whether or not I have a head wind.  Upon arrival, I just sit down on a park bench in the shade, and stare out at the ocean view.  Another attraction is the smell of the ocean.  It's wonderful to just be there for a while, and then head back home on the bike.  I think I am at my happiest, when I am riding a bicycle.


So it really is great to be alive, and if I ever need a reminder about how great it is, all I need to do is take a stroll through the local graveyard, and count my blessings which are many.  Take for instance the two souls in the photo below.  Even if you have the name "PLAYFAIR" and maybe you lived up to that name throughout your life, you still get to the end sooner or later.  All the more reason to pay attention to each moment as much as possible.  After all, any moment could be your last.


grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment