not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, July 28, 2021

WANDERING TO MAPLE BAY

 POST # 464

As I mentioned in last week's blog, after being in "jail" it's a no-brainer to want to be outside and wandering around again.  What's the point of being The Thoughtful Wanderer, if I can't roam around?

So today, I decided to ride the bike out to Maple Bay.  I took the regular bike, so I could get more exercise.  It only took about forty minutes from downtown, and it is a bit of a roller coaster heading in that direction.  That's OK.  The up and down terrain gives one the opportunity to have a work out and then relax, so it's the best of both worlds.

As soon as I turned on to Maple Bay Rd., I came across this sign, which tells you everything you need to know about how dry it is here on the island.  It's great weather for bike riding, but that's about all I can say.  Take a look at that grass.


As my journey continued I was confronted with the sign below, and I had to admit that it gave me a chuckle.  Some years ago, there was a woman who called into a radio program somewhere in the US, and she said to the show hosts that she couldn't understand why they put these deer crossing signs on major roadways.  She was actually under the impression (believe it or not) that if the sign was placed on a quieter road, the deer would cross at that point instead.  Anyhow, that's what popped into my brain, when I saw this sign.


The roller coaster ride continued, and lo and behold I went past Abbey Rd.  There wasn't a Beatle in sight.


Finally, the Maple Bay sign came into view, and the final part of the journey was down a rather steep hill, and a few moments later, I arrived.


In addition to being a wanderer, I still have a love of being around sailboats, so I was more than happy to find a shady spot under the dock, in order to just hang out and enjoy being there.  The view across the water is Saltspring Island.  I stayed for only about a half hour, prior to heading back to town.  I needed water, so I headed to the library to download these photos, and fill my belly up with nice cold water.  From there it was just a short ride back home.  





I have no idea how this day went by so fast.  It's already 7pm, and I haven't even had dinner.  Time to get this posted, make a nice big salad, and relax out here in the back yard.  This back yard is a great improvement from "jail".



grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer



No comments:

Post a Comment