not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Monday, December 14, 2020

TAKING THINGS FOR GRANTED

POST # 434

 

                                                             RUFUS

The other day I was looking back through my blog posts in search of something in particular.  I never found what I was looking for, however I did come across something that I had written many years ago.  In light of everything that is going on these days, I was again reminded that it is easy to lose sight of what many of us take for granted on a day to day basis.

What I wrote was, "As long as I have food in my belly, and a roof over my head, I really don't have anything to complain about."
 

So here I sit on a cold, grey day, in my warm hotel room, having just finished eating a late breakfast and I am reminded of the words that I wrote years ago.  If I need another reminder of my extreme good fortune, I receive it each day when I walk out the front door of the hotel and head down East Hastings street.  Hundreds upon hundreds of homeless people somehow manage to get through yet another day out there.  Rufus, featured above, no doubt has a more comfortable life than any of the folks living outdoors on East Hastings.

It's so easy to take for granted most of the privileges that we have, and then complain about our own lot in life.  I am as guilty of this as the next person, so it was good to come across my words from years past, so that I can once again re-learn not to take anything for granted. Like for instance, this tree on a sunny day.


 

grateful for every breath,

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer



No comments:

Post a Comment