not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, October 21, 2020

SMALL IS BEAUTIFUL

 POST # 427

 


THE BIG HOUSE (MAIN CABIN)


Small is beautiful, is the title of a book by E.F. Schumacher.  I read it probably about fifteen years ago and it came to mind during this past week.  Why?  Because some of the night time low temperatures crossed over the minus 20 degree C mark, and now that I am living in the main cabin, there is a lot more space that gets to cool off each night.  In the smaller cabin, it was still warm when I crawled out of bed.  So, small is beautiful, as far as cabin size is concerned on these chilly Yukon mornings.  The wood stove is hungrier, and my morning "meditation" at the outhouse is much more stimulating than it was during the warmer temperatures.

The lack of cloud cover that allows the temperature to drop, provides a couple of benefits to help compensate for the colder temperatures.  First, for a star gazer like me, it provides an absolutely magnificent view of the night sky.  At this latitude, Polaris (North Star) is very high above the horizon, and in addition, because I am far away from any artificial light sources, it's easy to actually see the Milky Way galaxy of which our solar system and planet are just a very small part.  The second advantage to the lack of clouds, is that the days are clear and sunny, in spite of the cold.  One comes to appreciate that big ball in the sky to a greater extent here in the Yukon, than back down south.

The creek directly out front of my cabin is now frozen solid, and the Klondike river is well on its way to getting there.  Each day I take a walk to the Klondike with the boneheads in order to survey the change in the river.  My friends are planning to return on October 26th, however their arrival may be dictated by the condition of the river.  It could be that there is too much ice to allow a canoe to cross, but at the same time, the ice may not be thick enough to walk upon.  John has lived here for thirty-four years so I imagine that he has seen it all before, and will know exactly what to do.

It's been another wonderful week here in wonderland, so I think I'll end this post with a selection of photos that I took in recent days.  Here they are.

MY WATER SOURCE

 

MY "HAPPY" HEAT SOURCE
 

 

CLASSIC HOMEMADE CHAIR
 


TWO MOOSE JUST ACROSS THE CREEK FROM THE CABIN


BIGFOOT???


THIS MORNING'S SUNRISE


ICE ON THE KLONDIKE THIS MORNING


Time now to take the boneheads out for their second walk of the day.  It's a balmy minus 17C, so we may as well take advantage of this heat wave.


grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer

PS: Fix one glitch and another appears.  As mentioned before, I solved the glitch on the new blogger platform, but now I have a new problem.  The portable device (Kindle Fire) that I usually write my blog on, won't allow me to log in.  WTF???  It's been working fine for years, and now it doesn't.  I guess I will have to do some more learning.  The reason I could write this post is because I am using the house computer here at the cabin, however by next week, I probably won't be here.  If there isn't a post on Oct. 28th, it will be due to technical problems with the Kindle.






No comments:

Post a Comment