not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, October 14, 2020

FULL DISCLOSURE

POST # 426

 

MAIZIE (LEFT), OZ (TOP) & DASH (RIGHT)

 O.K.  Full disclosure about being alone here,  which I wrote about last week.  It is true that I am the only human animal on this property, however I am not the ONLY animal.

I have these three wonderful boneheads to keep me company each and every day.  They are very low maintenance, so my duties are light.

Oz is the oldest, and he's the boss.  Dash is the lead "squirreler", and she was also the first one to come over and hang out with me at the other cabin, soon after I arrived.  And Maizie, well she just seems to be happy to go along with whatever the other two are up to at any given moment.  They are all unique, and they are all a joy to be around each and every day.

A typical day for the four of us usually begins around 8a.m., although I'm quite sure that they would be happy to sleep in even later than that.  Once they're fed, it's time to head outdoors, so that they can relieve themselves, and at the same time, sniff around for any new squirrels.  If there is such a place as dog heaven, this must be the place.

While they're outside, I get coffee going, and then join them outside for a stroll around the property.  The temperature has now dropped, and we were walking around in the snow this morning.  With the cooler temperature, Oz doesn't like to be out there too long, so I return to the cabin with him and let the other two head off on their morning squirrel hunt.  Of course, they are never successful, in spite of all of their barking.  The chosen squirrel sits up in the tree, looking down in amusement at the critters below.

There always seems to be some little project outside to keep me entertained for a while, even if it is only the daily task of splitting more wood for the stove.  It's something that I really enjoy doing, so I don't consider it work.

When the sun is shining, I make the journey to the solar panel, and rotate it in order to get the maximum charge for the batteries which supply my power.  When it's not shining, then I fire up the generator to accomplish the same task.  Lately, it's been more generator than solar panel. And soon I will lose additional solar energy, even on sunny days because there is a hill immediately south of the property that will block the sun from even reaching the solar panel.  Instant power whenever we want it, is a luxury that most take for granted in our modern world.  Out here, I am very frugal with the amount of power that I use.

The days are just flying by, and maybe it's because I have so much fun with the boneheads, or maybe it's because I am at 64+ degrees North latitude, and the days are getting rather short at this time of year.  All the more reason to appreciate each day as it presents itself.

The evening arrives, and it's doggie dinner time, and then human dinner time.  The poor things are tuckered out from all of the squirrel chasing, so it's time to relax. Their day is done.

Oz and Dash will remain camped out on the couch, but Maizie will soon find it too hot in the house, and she will retire to the deck outside.  With the boneheads settled for the evening, the human can now relax, do some reading, check the fire one last time, and then head upstairs to bed.  

Another day spent.  Another day enjoyed.  Another precious day.

Oz, being the boss, gets the final say for today.

SNORING OZ
 


grateful for every breath,

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer

PS: I fixed the glitch with the new version of blogger, so everything is back to normal.
 


 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 


 

 

 


No comments:

Post a Comment