not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, October 28, 2020

FINAL POST FROM THE YUKON (I THINK)

 POST # 428

 


 In anticipation of the arrival home of my friends, the three boneheads wait patiently.  The truth is that they are just waiting for a treat from the house/pet sitter.  And of course, they will get their treat, because how could I say no to those eyes staring back at me?

And so it is, that yet another house/pet sit is coming to and end.  As is always the case, I do get rather attached to the critters that I am caring for, and Oz, Dash, and Maizie are no exception.  As soon as John and Kim arrive home, I'm sure that these three will forget that I was ever here.  I won't soon forget them. They have been a real treat to look after.

It wasn't that long ago, that I thought I would never have an opportunity to return to the Yukon, and I will be forever grateful to John and Kim for allowing me this chance to come up North. 

It has been wonderful to be here as the season changed, and the water turned to ice as the temperature dipped to minus 20C.  However, today it has warmed right up, and there was a snowfall warning in effect (October 26th).  It snowed all morning and well into the afternoon.  I'm glad that I had the chance to experience one good snowfall prior to my departure.

 


 Here is a closer look at one of the steps, with the yardstick to measure that amount.

And here are three other photos that I like. The round piece of ice got caught up in that little eddy in the river, and it has been there for three days at this point, spinning around and around.


 

Magical ice crystals.


Leaving the property and heading back to Dawson.







So there we go.  My final post from the Yukon.  At least I think it is.  Mind you, I have had such a wonderful time here, I do wonder if it is truly my last visit?   By the time my next blog post is due on November 7th, I expect to be back in Vancouver, at least for a while.  I have zero house sits pending for the remainder of 2020, and I suppose that could be a bad thing,  however I don't see it that way.  I guess I can just look at it as an open ended holiday, and I really can't complain about that.

grateful for every breath,

Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer



 




No comments:

Post a Comment