not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Monday, September 14, 2020

END OF QUARANTINE, SMOKE, AND DAWSON HERE I COME

 POST # 422



My 14-day mandatory quarantine ended four days ago, so I am now officially free to go about my business.  Because I don't own a cell phone, I had to provide an email address when I arrived at the airport in order for the "authorities" to be able to check up on me on day four, day eight, and day eleven in order to confirm that I was staying where I said I would be.  So what happened on those three days?  Crickets!!!  I never received any emails, which leads me to conclude that I and any other arriving traveller could just exit the airport and be on their merry old way.  So much for mandatory quarantine.

Now that I am free to move around as I please, thick smoke from wildfires across the border has enveloped Vancouver, so moving around isn't as enjoyable as it could be.  However, I still like to do my daily walk in spite of the haze. I'm fact, a couple of days ago, I took the Seabus across to the North shore.  I was curious to see what the Vancouver skyline looked like from that point of view.  Here it is:




And this is what it looks like on video:



I also spent time at my favourite beach in the West End.  More smoke, and the resident crows to keep me entertained.



Today is the third consecutive day with thick smoke. Apparently, at some point during this period, Vancouver had the worst air quality in the world.  Whether that is true or not is debatable.  All I know is that it is very bad, but at least I won't have to put up with it for much longer.  Why is that?  Because tomorrow afternoon I will be flying back to the Yukon.  Friends in Dawson City need me to housesit for them for a little while.  I arrive in Whitehorse tomorrow evening, stay over at a local hotel, and fly on to Dawson the next morning.

These friends live out in the bush, so I am not exactly sure what kind of internet connection will be available, but rest assured, as long as I can connect, there will be a blog post next Monday.


grateful for every breath,


Paul

The Thoughtful Wanderer



No comments:

Post a Comment