not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Monday, September 21, 2020

BACK TO THE YUKON

POST # 423
MY CURRENT ABODE With limited Wi-Fi, coupled with the fact that Blogger, the platform I have been using to write on since 2011, has "upgraded" so that I have to re-learn it, I will be amazed and delighted if this post makes it to print. With all of that said, let's get started. After my extended stay in Vancouver, I boarded an Air North plane, and flew to Whitehorse, arriving back on Yukon territory on September 15th. I was greeted by my former brother-in-law, Pat, and we had a very pleasant visit over beer and a pizza. The time went by too fast, and soon I was bedded down for the night. Up early the next day, and back to the airport for my flight to Dawson. I met friends, Jannice and Myrna prior to boarding, and soon we were on our way. The flight to Dawson is about an hour, and on our final approach we flew over Bear Creek, and I recognized a few houses. The plane touched down around 9:30am. John was there to meet me, but prior to going back to his property, we drove to town, to do some shopping. I decided to go into the office at my former place of employment, The Dawson City General Store. That was a surprise for my former boss Mark, his son Kyler, and Bob the butcher. We had a pleasant visit and planned to catch up before I leave the Yukon. John and I departed for his property which is located across the Klondike river from Rock Creek. Rock Creek is about a half hour drive from Dawson, followed by two separate canoe voyages across the swiftly moving Klondike river. The first trip is to an island mid-stream, followed by the final float to the property. With John in command, I felt totally at ease. I'm not sure how confident I would be doing the journey on my own, however, that may be necessary at some point. Paddling a canoe in a river is way different to sailing a boat on the ocean, so my previous experience in that regard is of little help. We arrived at the property, to be greeted by John's partner, Kim accompanied by their three dogs, Oz, Dash and Maizie. At present, I am living in a separate cabin from the main house, and I would expect to be here until they go on their vacation. Then it's into the big house with the three boneheads, mentioned above. I feel totally comfortable in this cabin which is large compared to what "Snug" was. It has a great woodstove, and is only a short 46-step walking distance to the outdoor toilet. Who could ask for more? There has been plenty of work to do outside right now, so I have been helping out, however I have to admit that this ageing body isn't used to it. Still it is good for the soul. On Saturday, we went to town to set up on Front street at the farmer's market. It wasn't long before I was visiting with many old friends, and I had a wonderful time. Having worked at the General Store for so many years, I got to know most of the locals. So with the exception of the black flies that have been making a feast out of this non-local, It has been a memorable time so far. grateful for every breath, Paul The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment