not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Sunday, June 28, 2020

AN OLD LOST DOG

POST # 412

"Help me, I'm lost."

Yesterday, as Mary was looking out the window, she saw this old dog wandering down the road.  She called me over to have a look.  The dog was on its own, and as we continued to watch it walk/limp its way down the road, sniffing as it went, we both thought that it would be a good idea to try and catch it.

I headed out the front door and made my way towards it, calling and whistling as I walked in order to get its attention.  The dog just ignored me, and judging by its age, perhaps it couldn't even hear me.

Eventually I caught up to it, and fortunately it had a collar that I could grab onto. ( I guess that my experience as the local dog catcher back in Dawson City, Yukon, helped me on this occasion). The dog seemed happy to have me there, and as soon as I pulled out a piece of kibble from my pocket,  I had a new best friend.  I continued to dole out the kibble and within a few minutes we were safely back on Mary's front porch.  Now what?

It was obvious to the both of us that it was quite old, and it was certainly a mystery as to how it had ended up here.  We provided it with a bowl of kibble and some water, both of which disappeared quite rapidly.   The poor thing sure appreciated this simple meal.  As I continued to sit on the front porch with the dog, Mary made a few calls,  and soon the local police arrived to collect our recently found friend, and take it to the local Humane Society.  They promised us that they would return and let us know what they had found out.

Some time later, they were true to their word, and returned to report that the owner ( a senior lady) who at the current time is in the hospital, had arranged to have some relatives take care of her dog.  For whatever reason, the dog escaped from their place and ended up here.  We both wondered if it may have been trying to find its way home, as the owner apparently lives somewhere around here.

In any event, as of yesterday this old dog was safe and sound at the Humane Society.  This morning I wanted to do a follow up call to find out its current status.  The good news is that the Humane Society has been in contact with the people who were caring for the dog, and they were going to be picking it up sometime today.  I found out on the call that the dog's name is Wiley.  We were both happy to hear that he will be home soon.

A random act of kindness, turns into a happy ending.  We could all use more random acts of kindness these days.

Dora-dog wondering just what the heck is going on.


grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment