not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, March 7, 2020

ACHES, PAINS & RESTLESS SLEEPS

POST # 397




It hasn't come to this yet.  Now that I am well and truly 65, I haven't had to resort to using a cone like Brian is using in the birthday card that I received this past week.  So at least I don't have that to complain about.  In general, I don't like to think of myself as a complainer for the most part, but we are all susceptible to this behavior from time to time.  So let this post be my opportunity to complain for a moment.

Here goes.  For the past few weeks I have had more aches and pains than I can ever remember having before.  In addition to that, I seem to have lost the ability to have a restful sleep throughout the night.  The aches and pains are probably just the result of my continued aging, and I imagine that if I went around the local neighbourhood which seems to have a high proportion of similarly aged humans, and did an "aches and pains" survey, I would likely discover that my ailments are minor in comparison.  But it's the restless nights that have me the most confused, because up until recently, this hasn't been an issue in my life.  Most nights, the pattern seems to be about the same.  I go to bed around 11 pm, and within an hour or two, I am wide awake.  Waking up is always preceded by some very weird dream.  The dreams are all different, but they all have the same effect. My sleep is interrupted.  So nowadays, my normal six to eight hours of sleep has turned into a sleep broken up into two or three parts.  I don't like it, but like Kurt Vonnegut would say, "so it goes."

OK, that's enough of that.  I'll put it all down to the ongoing aging process, and with any luck, this will be the last time I will complain about these issues.  As my life has proven over many decades, things could always be a lot worse.  My blessings far outweigh my trials and tribulations.

On a final note for this week, if it ever comes to the point where I am forced to wear a cone like Brian, then I'll make sure to take a photo, and post it on this blog.  If that ever happens, whatever readership I have up to that point, will probably take their eyeballs elsewhere.  And I wouldn't blame them for a minute.

grateful for every breath,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer








No comments:

Post a Comment