not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Monday, January 21, 2019

MUSTARD PLASTER DAYS

POST # 343

BURROWS ISLAND (R) NEAR ANACORTES WASHINGTON

The dreaded mustard plaster.  Now, that is something that I would have never thought about for years, but seeing as it's another anniversary of my mom's birth, it seems rather appropriate to be talking about it.  You see, when I was very young, and had a bad chest cold, dear old mom would tell me that it was time to apply a mustard plaster to my chest.  It burned like the dickens, and I will always remember the smell of the Keen's hot mustard.  I'm sure that is why to this day, I don't like hot mustard.

Fast forward to today, and I find myself burdened with another chest infection that has been troubling me for the better part of a couple of weeks.  I had a few days off between house sits, and so I came here to Washington to spend time with my dear friend Mary, and her lovable bonehead, Dora dog.

When Mary heard my cough, she suggested of all things a mustard plaster.  So as of this writing I have been through a few sessions.  It isn't as bad as I remembered from my childhood, but it still burns.  I think it may have helped a little bit, but I am still troubled with this persistent dry cough.  I guess I'll just have to let nature take its course, and I will be very glad when I'm back to normal, (whatever normal is for me these days).

In spite of it all, I have enjoyed this short visit at Mary's new home in Shelter Bay, a place that we are both familiar with from years ago.  Last night we had the pleasure of enjoying the lunar eclipse.  It was a very rare crystal clear night sky, and we had a ring side seat.

Back on the road again tomorrow to begin another sit on Vancouver island.  The island has become a regular venue over the past few years, and I have enjoyed each sit that I have had there.

ADORABLE DORA DOG


maximizing my moments,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer


No comments:

Post a Comment