not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, June 14, 2018

CONTRASTS

POST # 314

San Antonio village, Belize


On this most recent journey to Belize onboard an American Airlines flight from Miami, I was struck by what appears to be a new phenomenon.   It was a beautiful sunny morning, and yet almost none of the windows had their shades up. A quick glance around the cabin which has about 30 rows, only revealed about a half a dozen or so windows with the shade up. I had two windows available, so naturally I put up both shades, in order to enjoy the view. The next thing I notice is that the guy sitting behind me, reached past the corner of my seat, and pushed the shade back down. WTF??? This little game went on for a while, and eventually he gave up. I guess it's just another sign of the times with everyone wanting to be connected to their "device" that they don't even want to enjoy the view. Flying has gone from a time when people actually talked to each other, then didn't talk, and now this. How come I'm not surprised?

In contrast with that experience, here in Belize, being "online" is much more hit and miss.  But the good news is that the less time I spend in cyber space, the less I feel I need to be connected, and I'm sure that must be a good thing.

There are plenty of interesting people to talk to and there is a new bonehead here, named Mia, so I keep busy in spite of the lack of internet time. 


Living in acceptance,
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

No comments:

Post a Comment