not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Monday, August 28, 2017

"DR." SANCHO, HAMBONE, HARVEY, and (R.I.P.) PIPER

POST # 276


"DR." SANCHO PANZA

This past week, I had the pleasure of meeting "Dr." Sancho Panza, and his side kick, Hambone Little Tail.  "Dr." Sancho is renowned for his deep philisophical  knowledge with regards to the human condition, but in addition to that, he loves to chase after chipmunks.

I came across Sancho, and his buddy Hambone Little Tail a while back on Youtube, and I've been following their adventures across the country from time to time.  It just so happens, that they were up in this neck of the woods, and seeing that all three of us are of the wandering type, and with the odds of us being in close proximity ever again were rather slim, I decided to send out an email to inquire about visiting them while they camped on the shores of Baker Lake at the foot of Mount Baker.  The response from Hambone was positive, so we set up a time, and my friend Mary drove me to the town of Sedro Woolley, where I caught a bus to the town of Concrete Washington to meet Hambone and Sancho.

It was late in the afternoon when I arrived, and we were hungry, so we stopped in at a local pizza place, and as the pizza was cooking we had a beer and an opportunity to begin our conversation, while Sancho remained in the truck trying to find a mouse that had recently moved in.  Before long, the three of us (or four if you count the mouse) were on our way to the campsite which was situated about 25 miles out of Concrete, on the Western shore of Baker Lake.  It was a magnificent location, and we had the place all to ourselves.  The remainder of the day was spent munching on one of the best pizzas I've ever tasted, washed down with a margarita or two, as the sun set, and the darkness enveloped our campsite.

OUR CAMPSITE

The campsite was located just around the corner from the bush in the foreground  on the shore of Baker Lake.

All in all, I spent less than 24 hours visiting with Hambone and Sancho, and I'm glad I made the effort and I think they would agree.  It's always good to talk with someone who understands what's really going on in the world around us.  And on that note, Hambone is prolific when it comes to Youtube videos, so I've included a link to a video we did the other morning while I was there.  It's probably not for everyone, so the reader has been warned, however if you want to listen to these two old  wandering farts, and watch Sancho go chase a chipmunk, then settle back and have a listen.  It's just over 16 minutes in length.



Now let's briefly talk about Harvey shall we?  Harvey as in Hurricane Harvey is currently dumping plenty of rain on Texas, and is expected to continue doing so this week.  Just my luck because tomorrow evening I will be flying to Houston, enroute to Belize for my second time this year.  Funnily enough, tomorrow's date August 29th, is the same date (2005) that Hurricane Katrina struck the Gulf Coast.  I've been on plenty of adventures in my life and it looks as though I'm on the verge of another one.  It should be interesting to say the least, and perhaps I'll have more to say about the matter when I write my blog on September 7th.


--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And finally,


R.I.P. PIPER

Yesterday I received the news that my furball buddy from Nanaimo, Piper died last Friday.  That made me sad, but I'm pretty sure not as sad as Ann Marie, his owner.  On the house/pet sit journey that I have been on over the past 6 plus years, I've had the pleasure of knowing many furballs, but I would be hard pressed to think of one that I enjoyed spending time with more than Piper.  He will be missed.  Ann Marie said that he died in his sleep.  We should all be so lucky.


living a life of simple acceptance,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer





No comments:

Post a Comment