not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, September 7, 2017

"HOUSTON, WE HAVE A PROBLEM"

POST # 277





HELLO HARVEY








The 29th of August was an eventful day. Boltbus to yvr, then the two plus hours at the United counter to try to find a way to get me to Belize.  Stephen the ticket agent certainly tried every option possible or so it seemed to me. He even had two other people helping, and they looked at all sorts of combinations and permutations, including flying via, Guatemala or perhaps Panama, and there was even talk of via Germany.  After all was said and done, he found a combination via Toronto, then Miami and on to Belize from there.  Only thing was the date has changed.  It wasn't the 29th of August, but rather September 1st to Toronto, arriving around midnight, followed by an early morning flight to Miami, and then on to Belize to arrive about noon on September 2nd.  Am I complaining.  ABSOLUTELY NOT.  It's fun,  and it's all part of this adventure. Of course, with tropical cyclone Irma now forming in the Eastern Atlantic, anything could happen between now and Saturday, so we'll see what happens.  Who knows, Miami or Belize City might go the way of Houston, and I may never get there.  But until then I'll just continue to go with the flow.

Speaking of Houston, it sounds like a real mess, and the airport staff said that they didn't expect the airport to open until the weekend.  Something tells me that that is just the start of their problems.  Now IF, I do eventually get to Belize, and IF what has now been upgraded to hurricane status,  Irma doesn't decide that it wants to mess with The Thoughtful Wanderer, then perhaps I will be able to survey some of the Texas coastline on my return journey which is still booked through Houston.  Any way you slice it, the first part of September is shaping up to be anything but normal.  But then again, what's normal nowadays?  I'll update the blog prior to posting on September 7th.

UPDATE:
I'm  writing these words, while sitting at The Table Rock Jungle Lodge in Belize, in preparation for the final Nature Bats Last radio show, with my friend Guy as the host. Pauline will be recording the show, so once that is up on the web, I'll post a link.
Since my arrival, IRMA is now a category 5 hurricane. As of last night it looked as though Belize was on the track to hit us here, but now Florida is in its sights. The bottom line is that its going to be an interesting weekend ahead.
I may or may not get back to Canada on September 11th. In the meantime, I'm very fortunate to be spending precious moments, with good friends here in Belize.

Show link below.
https://naturebatslast.podbean.com/e/nature-bats-last-–-090517/



 All things being equal, there is still time to enjoy the beauty of a late August sunset, like the one I experienced prior to departing Vancouver.  It was a rare non smokey day.







living a life of simple acceptance,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer 

No comments:

Post a Comment