not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, June 28, 2017

AND THEN THERE WAS ONLY SKIDDER

POST # 268



L-R BREAKER, ROXIE & SKIDDER



I received news the other day from my friends in the Yukon that Roxie has recently died.  Last summer it was Breaker, and this year, Roxie.  Poor old Skidder is now alone, without his siblings to play with.  And the three of them sure liked to play.

I have two lasting memories that come to mind when I think about Roxie.  When the four of us would head out for our daily walks in the snow covered tailings ponds, it was always Roxie who would disappear, apparently more interested in her own adventure, than one shared with the rest of us.  Eventually she would turn up, and we would all head home together.  The other memory is that she always seemed to be trying to pick a "fight" with her two much larger brothers.  Of course she was just playing around, and I'm sure that the other two knew that she was.  I guess it was her way of stirring things up, just for the fun of it all.  Perhaps because she was the runt of the litter, she needed to stand up for herself.  Whatever the reason, I was happy to be a part of the fun, and she certainly had the ability to make me laugh from time to time.  Like Breaker, I will miss her as well.

I imagine old Skidder is wondering what to do, now that he has the whole house to himself.  And no doubt he is feeling somewhat blue about the news.  However, unlike us human animals, the other creatures that we share the planet with have a much greater ability to live in the moment.  Now that Skidder is all alone, this ability will be his greatest asset going forward.

Here is a video I took of of the boneheads which also includes their mother, Becca.  Right at the beginning you can see Roxie stirring things up with Skidder.  She was a little s**t disturber, and she will be missed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKlEziN_xc0


living a life of simple acceptance,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer



No comments:

Post a Comment