not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, June 14, 2017

THE PROJECT CONTINUES

POST # 266




Even though we are on the verge of the summer solstice, you certainly wouldn't know it by the temperature outside.  I could see my breath this morning when I went out to greet the hummingbirds. They don't seem to be bothered by the cool temperatures, and since I refilled their feeder yesterday, they appear to be happy. This morning, there were three of them hovering around.  What a great way to start the day.

I noted this past week that there was snow near Reno, Nevada, and not far away as the crow flies, in Phoenix Arizona, the forecast for next week is for temperatures up to 120F.  This is what we get with the jet stream all screwed up, now that the ice is almost gone in the Arctic.  Welcome to the new normal.

However, this cool weather has been very beneficial if one happens to be out working in the yard, pulling more weeds, and cutting grass, which is exactly what I have been up to this past week.  My friend won't recognize the place when he gets home.  Here are some before and after photos.



WEST SIDE OF HOUSE




EAST SIDE OF HOUSE

Of course, a good weeding project wouldn't be complete without a nicely trimmed lawn to match, so after I had the sides of the house looking somewhat more respectable, I turned my attention to the lawn.  On five acres, there is an abundance of it.




The above two photos are in the front yard and garden.  I forgot to take a "before" photo of the back yard, but here is the "after" shot.



There is a scene near the end of the movie "Forrest Gump," where Forrest is sitting on a lawnmower. (I didn't have that luxury).  Anyhow, as he is cutting the grass, the voice over says, and I quote, "...and 'cause I was a gozillionaire, and I liked doing it so much, I cut that grass for free."

  Well I certainly am not a gozillionaire, but I did cut this grass for free, and just like Forrest, I liked doing it.

So bit by bit, the yard is getting to look better than when I arrived.  Of course the weeds and grass will continue to grow, in spite of this wintery summer weather, so I won't be out of a job anytime soon.  However, this first go around has been the biggest hurdle to jump, and now all I have to do is maintain the place.  That should be a breeze in comparison to what I have already accomplished.

Finally, here is an oldie but goodie from Annie Lennox with the song, "Why."  I could be asking the same question when it comes to the amount of grass that some people have.  Enjoy.



living a life of simple acceptance,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer







No comments:

Post a Comment