not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, February 7, 2017

MOVING ON

POST # 249




No, this isn't me.  But I suppose that if my life had taken a different trajectory  it could have been me.    A man and his faithful companion, heading out from the dock to, where??  Perhaps another boat at anchor in the harbour.   He will remain a mystery.

Piper the furball is now history.  Well not literally.  He just stayed put in his domain, while the house sitter has moved on to the next venue.  I MISS HIM ALREADY.  He's probably forgotten about me.  But that's OK.  It comes with the territory.  There are already plans in the works for a return visit.  I'll have him in my spell once again.  The poor furball doesn't stand a chance, or so I keep telling myself.  I think he has more control over me, than I do over him.


Here is a rare photo of Piper with his eyes open.  It's not his preferred option.  Why be awake when you can be sleeping?  In fact, during my stay at Piper's place,  I came across a book supposedly authored by one of his feline friends, the title of which is, "YOU NEED MORE SLEEP."  Who else but a furball could come up with a title like that?



Full disclosure.  The odd time that Piper is awake is put to very productive use.  Here we see him once again conning the  house sitter into providing him with "just one more" treat.  Who's kidding who? Piper is a master in the art of persuasion.  This photo says it all.  I didn't stand a chance.   

With the snow falling, I headed out on my bike to the bus terminal to begin my journey to my next house sit.  From bike to bus to boat on a journey south to Port Angeles. 


Here is my lonely looking bike on the foredeck of the boat.  Or if you'd rather have the video version with the snow falling, here it is.




Arriving in Port Angeles, I was met by my friends Dahr and Laurie and from there we returned to Port Townsend.  Some dinner, a visit, and then it was early to bed because we were up again at 2am  so that I could journey to Sea Tac airport in Seattle with Dahr.  He headed out to Guam, and I departed the airport about 4:30am on my return to Port Townsend.  Even at that early hour, I was struck by the amount of traffic on Interstate 5.  I was thankful when I could exit onto highway 16 at Tacoma, and continue my journey back home, arriving at 6:30am.
The place certainly has a different look than when I was here in the summer, as can be seen by the following image.


It's nice to see that the chair that I found abandoned on the highway last summer, has managed to remain in the yard.  I'm not sure how much time I will be spending out there reading at this time of year, but who knows?  It's good to be back and I look forward to the silence of this place which is only broken occasionally by the haunting sound of the resident hoot owl*.  

*Listen closely and you'll hear the hoot owl.


living a life of profound acceptance,


Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer










1 comment: