not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Saturday, January 28, 2017

AQUABUS MEMORIES

POST # 248

CYCLE BUS #1

Looking back over previous blog posts on this date, I seem to have fallen into the habit of mentioning Aquabus.  But why?

The reason is very simple.  I always think about Aquabus on yesterday's date, because it was on January 27th, way back in the year 2009, that I completed my final shift doing my favourite job, that of an Aquabus skipper.  With that date fresh in my mind, it's easy to make mention of it today.

I enjoyed working on all the different boats, but the best one without question is pictured above.  Cycle bus #1 is unique because it is the only boat that floats on pontoons, which at first were tricky to handle, but as time wore on, and my skill level increased, Cycle bus #1 was the most fun to operate.

Today marks 8 years plus one day since my last shift, which ended up being just another day at the "office", however the after party at the Arts Club on Granville Island was memorable indeed.

I mentioned to my friend, Talyn the other day that I don't miss working there any longer.  It took a while though.  She was another former Aquabus skipper, and she had come to that realization a long time ago.  I guess I am a slow learner.

Most of the people that I did work with all those years ago have now moved on,  however someone who is an exception to that rule is my friend Congo Bob, who is featured in the photo below.

Just look at the concentration in that face. (He's probably thinking about the beer he's going to have with Ray after his shift is complete).  If you happen to be on Congo's Aquabus, you're in good hands.  The only thing missing in the photo is Congo's cat, Shadow, but I don't imagine that he would like being this close to water.  He is a cat after all.

Even though I don't miss the job, I'm still left with many pleasant memories of my time spent while working there, and for that I am most grateful.

living a life of profound acceptance,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

PS: Piper reminds us that it is very important to clean between our toes, and once that is done,  have a nap.



No comments:

Post a Comment