not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Tuesday, February 28, 2017

COLD WEATHER, INCUBATORS & TANK

POST # 252


TANK*



I was going to insert two other photos on today's blog.  The first photo was the snow falling outside at the moment, and the second was a photo of the fire from last night in the wood stove.  Unfortunately for whatever reason, I can't seem to get the download function to work for either one.  I'll blame it on the cold weather.  
As I type these words, I can see my breath. Yes, it's a tad chilly in the house, and I'm clothed with as many layers as I have to keep warm.  Thankfully I also have a sleeping bag here which I can wrap around myself.  I'm grateful for these small luxuries.  How does that old saying go, if it doesn't kill you, it makes you stronger?  Perhaps.  All things being equal, I will be glad when the weather warms up, and the sun reappears.

In spite of the cold and snow, my little hummingbird friend is here every day, slurping from the feeder outside.  In addition, the hoot owl has been talking up a storm most evenings, and yesterday he even appeared in the daytime as he flew across the yard and nestled in one of the trees.  Amazing.

The other day when I was in town shopping, someone had left a copy of the local newspaper on a table in the store.  I scooped it up to use for kindling later on, but once home, I decided that I may as well have a read before burning it in the wood stove.  Like most newspapers there is an obituary section, or as it is named in the Peninsula Daily News, "Passings."  One entry caught my eye.  Her name was Lucille Conlin Horn.  She made it to the ripe old age of 96.  At birth, her twin sister died, and Lucille was a mere two pounds.  Her parents took her to Coney Island, where a Dr. Martin Couney put babies on display in incubators to fund his research.  He was a pioneer in the use of incubators.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Martin_A._Couney

As a fellow incubator baby, on the threshold of yet another birthday later this week,  I am thankful for people like the good Doc Couney for doing his research all those years ago.  I guess I was lucky enough to be born when I was, or to even be born at all.  It's been quite the journey so far.




living a life of simple acceptance,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

*This is Tank.  He has featured before on my blog, but I ran into him again the other day, and as a result, I will be going down the road to feed him for a couple of days later this week while his owner is away.  It's always good to spend some time with a bonehead. And Tank is a good bonehead.















2 comments:

  1. Hey Paul! Now here's a blast from the past! Just thought I'd wish you a happy and thoughtful birthday! Harry

    ReplyDelete