not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Wednesday, September 21, 2016

PORT TOWNSEND REBOUND WITH ADDED FURBALLS

 POST # 231


If one were to pick a location on the west coast that you might find a tall ship being refitted, it would quite possibly be in Port Townsend, Washington.  And Port Townsend is where I find myself again,  furball sitting.  It's just a whistle stop this time around compared to my recent  three month housesit.
 I'm here for only a week, but that is enough time to make three new furball friends. Make that four.

So here they are.

SQUINT

KIT

GREY JAY


They are typical furballs, each with their own very unique personalities.  In the short time that I have been here, Grey Jay seems to have decided to be my best buddy.  Perhaps this is due to the fact that on my first day here, he disappeared.  Eventually he was discovered hiding in the wood box near the fireplace, after having been in there all day long.  Now he wants to be as close as possible, which is ok by me.

Kit just likes to eat a lot and sleep in the sunbeams, and Squint is somewhat more independent than the other two.  

As if I didn't have enough furballs to keep me company, I met this one outside this morning.  He sure wanted to come in the front door, but that would likely have caused chaos, so we just sat out on the front step and had a visit.  He's extremely friendly, even though you might not detect that from the look in his eyes.



Even though this property isn't quite as rural as my last place, and even though it is in town, I'm surrounded by greenery, and it's pretty quiet so that makes me happy.  Here's a view out of the kitchen window at an abandoned shack which is next door.


If only the walls could talk.  The place probably has an interesting history.

One of the advantages of being at this location is that I have been able to continue my daily bike ride, and much of the route is similar to the last time I was in Port Townsend.  It's always a great way to start the day, and with the new route, there are new things to see, like this pretty flower,


and this old mansion on the hill overlooking the town.



You never know what you might see on a ride, and the following photo is just one example.  It was actually taken last week in Sudden Valley, but I thought that I would include it here.


This sign reminds me of the woman a few years back who had phoned into a radio station in Fargo, North Dakota, complaining about the fact that "deer crossing" signs were placed on major roads.  She thought that it would be safer for the deer, if the signs were on roads that weren't so busy.  She actually believed that the deer would follow the instructions on the sign.
Here is the link to her phone call, and subsequent call, after she realized her stupidity.


Perhaps deer don't know where to cross roads, however this deer certainly knows how to jump a fence.  I captured this moment, yesterday morning in my back yard.





I'll be here for the remainder of the week, and I should have enough time to pick a bunch more apples as there are apple trees everywhere, groaning under the weight of all the fruit.  


Time now to finish off this tale, and what better way to do that then to have a photo of a tail.  This particular tail belongs to Grey Jay, from earlier this morning, after she hopped up on the bed.



living a life of profound acceptance,

Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer









No comments:

Post a Comment