not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, January 28, 2016

DONE IN DAWSON (at least for now)

POST # 200






A Sunny day on the trail near my old place, "Snug"








So,  for what it's worth, a couple of milestones have been achieved as of this writing. This is my 200th post, and when I started this blog way back in 2011, I couldn't imagine that I would still be doing it.  The other milestone happened yesterday, January 27th.  It marks 7 years since I last had paid employment.  My final shift driving the Aquabus ferry boat was completed back on that date in 2009.  Holy crow!!  As much as I did love that job, I must admit that I do prefer this wandering lifestyle even more, and with the added bonus of spending so much time with wonderful four legged animals, the 7 years has zipped right along.  One day, the bank balance will get to zero, but it's not there yet, so I will continue this project for as long as I am able.




And speaking of the project, today is my final full day here in Bear Creek, with my four trusty boneheads, and one cuddly furball.  I'll miss them all when I leave, but such is the life of a roaming pet/house sitter.  I head out tomorrow, and I will be in transit for a few days, prior to arriving at my next scheduled house/pet sit on Saturna Island B.C.  I'll only have one furball to care for, so it's shaping up to be a very relaxed time compared to my time here.


So I guess I might as well add a few photos and videos to round out this entry.


A RARE SUNNY DAY ON FRONT STREET IN DAWSON
(my former place of employment, the Dawson City General Store is at the right of the photo)










2 Degrees C on January 27th.  So much for the Arctic Winter.












One happy guy.  This is one-armed Francis, the man who runs the Dawson dump.  When I arrived here after being away for four years, Francis said to me, "Oh ya, I remember you, because you're always so happy."  Francis is a good judge of character. And he is one of the happiest people that I have ever met.  He loves his work, and he probably works harder than most people with two arms.












My friend Dorian's cabin in West Dawson.  Unfortunately he wasn't home when I got there, so we didn't get to have a visit.












A nice shot of Roxie and Skidder when we were out on our walk.












Boneheads in the snow.












As the Air North flight departs Dawson, the boneheads like to "sing" as it passes overhead.



In Search of "Snug"



Arrival at the spot where "Snug" used to be.






I guess that just about wraps things up here in the Yukon.  Perhaps I will be back again at some point, but nothing is for certain. I am very happy to have had the opportunity to be here now, and count myself very fortunate indeed.




Finally, here is one last photo, (actually a photo of a photo) shot by Sonny Parker, a neighbour's son.  It's taken from a viewpoint on the west side of the Yukon River, overlooking Dawson.  The town's lights are shrouded in fog, and up above, the Northern Lights are on display.






Happy Trails,


Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer















No comments:

Post a Comment