not all those who wander are lost

"NOT ALL THOSE WHO WANDER ARE LOST."
J.R.R. TOLKIEN

KAPAPAMAHCHAKWEW
Cree leader, Wandering Spirit

Thursday, January 14, 2016

BACK IN BEAR CREEK, YUKON

POST # 198


A week ago today, I was at Vancouver airport, awaiting my departure for Whitehorse, followed by a flight to Dawson the next day.
I'm now settled in at my current house sit in Bear Creek, with some familiar four legged friends.  It's taken a few days to get familiar with the routine here, but so far, all is well.
So let me introduce the clan.  First of all, there is the two legged group as seen below.


 From l to r around the table: Terry, Jannice, Sandra, Jerry, Myrna, and Marg.


This photo is taken the night of my arrival in Bear Creek, at Terry and Jannice's place, where I am currently housesitting.  Now let's move on to all the four legged members of the group.


First off, is Becka, the mother, followed by three of her offspring.



SKIDDER


BREAKER

ROXY


The team wouldn't be complete without a furball, and here he is.


TROUBLE
(a larger  version of Pouncer Bouncer)



The boneheads, the furball and the housesitter live here.


Here is a video of the view from the back deck.


Of course, a major part of the day is taken up with walking the dogs.  There are plenty of places to walk out back, and we've been busy making trails.  One has to be careful though.  The weather has been so mild, it has caused open water in amongst the tailings piles, and so we have to be careful where we step.  I did a short  walk last night, and here we are getting ready to head out.


On our walk today, the boneheads were so happy, they began to sing.  Actually, this particular song was encouraged by the housesitter, however this is something they do each day when the Air North plane takes off and flies overhead.


There are more photos to add, but that's probably enough for today.  I've still got two more scheduled blog posts to do while I'm up north, so I'll save some photos for next time.  Oh, wait.  Here is one more photo of my buddy, Watson.  I took care of him when I was down in Yuma back in 2012.  His owner is currently there with my friends Jannice and Terry, but Watson is still here for a while.  He heads to Yuma very soon.



It's great to be back in the Yukon, as I knew that it would be.  The time seems to be just melting away, like the Greenland ice sheet, which I heard yesterday is melting at the rate of... wait for it...
8000 tons per second.  Yikes!!!!

Happy trails,
Paul
The Thoughtful Wanderer

And a PS.  Speaking of ice, I thought I would add these photos as well, even though they weren't taken here.  Mother Nature produced these beauties in a place called Sudden Valley, Washington, where my friend Mary has now moved to.





And one final photo:

This was the outside temperature tonight in Bear Creek.  It's about 10pm, and it's the middle of January, and this is certainly not normal.
Like the words from the song in the movie, Grumpy Old Men, "We're having a heat wave, a tropical heat wave."
Earlier today, when I was walking across the Klondike River, it was raining.











No comments:

Post a Comment